1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Theodore J. Henry" <thenry@umabnet.ab.umd.edu>
Date: 18 Sep 1997 11:13:19
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: NARAB and RAB Caucus

For Career/Pro readers:

As an update for what appears to have wide-spread support, I thought I
should drop a line regarding the NARAB concept. As you are aware Arc
Ecology is organizing a National RAB Caucus, and if it is workable I will
assist or participate to help in such an endevour. I am not familiar with
much of the work Saul Bloom's group has done but it certainly sounds
extensive with regard to California and other sites around the world.
Clearly some of this networking has been done by Career/Pro, such as the
Federal Facilities Clean-up Workshop which I attended, so I would think
group efforts would continue. This premise is why I post my thoughts
on these issues, because the concept needs to develop from any and all who
has input on the design of a concept. That is why I expect people to speak
up on concerns, thoughts or suggestions.

I believe Arc's vision and the one I have expressed are compatible.
One thought I had was that such a national caucus could lead to the board
I envisioned. I clearly think such a board is a neccessity to give the
support the local RABs are looking for. I think many community RAB
members are overwhelmed and will be unable to participate, particularly
with regard to travel. So, I think the national caucus will have to operate
mostly by mail, phone, computer, etc, such as the flyer (and questionnaire
I think) Arc is working on.

It was my clear impression from Mass that citizens need better
communication with other RABs to learn from each other, but equally
important there needs to be a body they can turn to for muscle support
when problems aren't getting solved. Based on this hypothesis, the
national caucus and a national RAB Board could be two parts of a whole,
and the excellent workshops being done by Career/Pro and associates are
critical to these things. As a matter of fact, it might be hard or
ineffective to have one part without the others long term. And long term
is the issue because, as pointed out by one response to me, RABs may
well need to be permanent at many sites, such as active bases and
locations where many of the solutions have been long term monitoring,
deed restrictions, etc.

Anyway, I think there is room and a need for wide-spread input, and I
assume Arc would agree. Lastly, I look forward to donating time to work
with Arc, Career/Pro and others to keep this national thing rolling,
because I have felt for some time that the East and West coasts have been
too separated in thier efforts, which only adds to the divide and conquer
approach I have seen utilized too often to reduce the steam of community
efforts to reach the decision making table regarding their communities and
environment.

Food for thought and feedback.

Until I hear from you.

Sincerely