1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Laura Olah" <olah@speagle.com>
Date: 26 Sep 1997 14:04:37
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Protocol Health Risk Assessment of MMR

Citizens for Safe Water Around Badger
E12629 Weigand's Bay South
Merrimac, Wisconsin 53561
(608) 643-3124

U.S. Army Center for Health Promotion and Preventive Medicine
ATTN: MCHB-DC-EHR (CPT Deborah Hastings)
5158 Blackhawk Road, Bldg 1677
Aberdeen Proving Ground, MD 21010-5422

September 22, 1997

Dear CPT Hastings,

Thank you for forwarding a copy of the Health Risk Assessment Protocol
for Open Burning of Propellant Bags, Masschusetts Military Reservation
(MMR), MA, Project No. 30-EJ-6995-97 dated July 1997 submitted by the
U.S. Army Center for Health Promotion Medicine and Preventative
Medicine.

Having only time to do a preliminary review of the proposed study and
realizing the official comment period has already passed, we are
presenting our initial recommendations at this time.

Based on our review of results reported as Average Emission Factors for
Propellants Burns from the so-called Bang Box test as well as other
voluminous studies conducted at the nearby Badger Army Ammunition Plant
in conjunction with their application for a RCRA permit for open burning
waste propellants - we strongly recommend the following parameters be
added as identified chemicals of concern to be included in your
analyses. These recommendations are made with the recognition that the
Bang Box tests were conducted under extremely restrictive conditions
which may give us some insight as to the potential environmental impact
of burning bags of propellants at MMR, however, these results do not
readily correlate with nor necessarily represent real world exposures
or, more specifically, circumstances at MMR.

Recommended (additional) parameters for inclusion:
· Chromium (Cr)
· Barium
· Nitrogen Oxide
· Nitrogen Dioxide
· 2,6 - DNT (Dinitrotoluene)
· Carbon Monoxide
· Carbon Dioxide
· Vinyl Chloride
· Non-methane hydrocarbons (i.e. propane, ethane, acetylene, and
 other light hydrocarbons)
· 1-Nitropyrene
· 2-Nitronaphthalene
· 2,5 Diphenyloxazole

Thank you for your consideration of our letter and we look for to
receiving information about the progress of your investigation.

Sincerely,

Laura Olah
Executive Director

cc: John DeVillars, Regional Administrator, Region I, USEPA
 Community members