1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: arc@igc.org
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 1997 14:55:09 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: National RAB discussion

 CARRERPRO BBS PARTICIPANTS INTERESTED IN FORMING A NATIONAL RAB NETWORK
 ARC ECOLOGY

 RECENT DISCUSSIONS ABOUT NATIONAL RAB NETWORK STRUCTURE

There has been a bit of traffic on the Careerpro BBS lately regarding
who will lead a national RAB network. A number of messages have been
posted about Arc, or Careerpro or the establishment of a board of
directors. I've taken some time out to think about the issues that
have been raised and would like to make the following observations.

> While a discussion of structure is entirely in order, we haven't
 defined the project yet.
> Aside from some short general principles, I don't think there is
 any agreement yet on purpose and mission.
> The audience participating in the discussion is far too small to
 be at all representative of the community-based parties interested in
 the outcome of the discussion.

Therefore we would probably benefit from an effort to more completely
define what it is we want to do. We do however appear to have some
agreement on two points:

1. There appears to be general support for a national RAB network/
 caucus of some sort.

There appears to be general agreement, at least on the Careerpro BBS,
that there should be some form of ongoing coordination between RABs
members beyond the discussions that are currently taking place on the
net. While some individuals have expressed reasonable reservations
regarding their past experience with the national entities, others
seemed to be concerned that the current state of affairs around base
cleanup necessitates the creation of a network or caucus despite the
difficulties inherent in organizing a national effort. Most folks
seem eager to see something built.

2. There appears to be significant interest in the January 1998
Caucus meeting in Phoenix

Arc has received a number of positive responses on the upcoming
January meeting. Organizations like the Rural Alliance for Military
Accountability have expressed their interest (as RAB members) in
attending the Caucus as have RAB community members and CoChairs. A
number of individuals have asked about travel scholarships. Given the
Email response combined with interest expressed to us from other
quarters, Arc is moving ahead with the organizing of this meeting.

So clearly there is interest in creating a RAB network/caucus and the
January meeting is coming up which will provide an appropriately
attended forum to act on these points. Therefore we need some
process for both defining what it is we want to accomplish and to
develop a proposed structure for how we want to accomplish those goals.

To accomplish that task, I would propose the following process:

STEP 1. The development of Discussion Papers on mission and structure

Arc proposes that between now and January 2, 1998 Discussion Papers be
developed which discuss proposals for the activities and structure of
the RAB campaign. The papers needn't very long. However to really
expedite the discussion, I suggest that the Papers should include a
presentation on the following items:

> The author's view of the goals and objectives of the effort;
> The types of activities the author believes the entity should undertake; and
> A discussion of the structure the author envisions as most likely
 to advance the goals, objectives and activities they have identified.

STEP 2. The Distribution of Discussion Papers

Arc proposes that Careerpro and Arc agree to circulate the Discussion
Papers. The Discussion Papers would circulated via Email and posted
on the Careerpro BBS. Arc Ecology will mail out a synopsis of the
various Discussion Papers we have received with our Caucus outreach
materials and will provide full hard copy versions in the Caucus
packets which will then be distributed to those individuals who are
participating in the January Caucus. (Full versions of the Discussion
Papers will be provided to all who request them regardless of
attendance at the January Caucus)

The distribution of the Discussion Papers over the Careerpro BBS will
hopefully generate ongoing discussion and refinements in individual
papers. It is important to remember that the Careerpro BBS is
monitored by individuals within the DoD, its contractors, the USEPA
and other regulators. So if one wishes to raise strategic issues
confidentially, send the Email directly to the individuals and/or
groups you wish to talk to.

Arc is proposing a cut off date of January 2, 1998 for the receipt of
Discussion Papers. This is to enable us to distribute the Papers and
the January Caucus packet in a timely fashion. It is not meant to be
a cut-off of ongoing discussions.

STEP 3. The Discussion Papers will be presented, discussed, voted
upon or tabled at the January 1998 Caucus

Arc proposes that while there will of-course be ongoing discussion via
the net and phones that the January 1998 Caucus meeting provide the
forum for discussing and adopting the recommendations in these
Discussion Papers. Arc Ecology is providing professional facilitation
for the meeting. Any decisions at the Caucus meeting would represent
the agreement of those at the meeting.

STEP 4. The mission and structure discussion be held on January 27th
in the afternoon

To ensure sufficient time for the discussion, we propose amending the
agenda we uploaded for the January Caucus. We propose a caucus
meeting for the afternoon of the 27th. The meeting would occur while
members of the DERTF tours Williams Air Force Base. Although this
would lengthen the meeting somewhat, it would have the additional
benefit of providing more time for the background and DERTF
discussions on the 26th as well.

Clarifying Arc's position regarding the structure of the Caucus

While I appreciate Curt's endorsement and am concerned about issues he
raised, I think his and some of the recent traffic has somewhat
confused Arc's purpose in calling the January 1998 caucus meeting.
I'd like to clarify it now.

1. Arc is committed to building a national campaign around RABs

Arc supports the creation of a network of RAB community members.
Like Sam Goodhope, we believe that the current situation is
deteriorating. It is our view that the strategies implemented in to
address the issue on the national level since 1990 have had very
little real affect. In-fact we are quite concerned that we are losing
ground that was gained in the 1980's with regard to base cleanup. We
see a national caucus of RAB community members as being one of the
more effective approaches we can be taking to rectify the situation.

Arc, like many groups, has seen the creation of a number of networks
over the years that have done very little, so we're very much
interested in participating in the creation of a group that will
actually deal with the issues RABs face. We prefer to use the word
caucus because it implies the group will be taking action.

2. Arc has no fixed view of the structure of that campaign

In-so-far as a structure is concerned, while Arc has its own point of
view, we also believe that our opinions are best informed when they
are informed by other people. We see a number of structures that could
work. Some examples:

> one model that has worked is the creation of a Caucus that has a
secretariat that provides the administrative and campaign support;

> another model is the distribution of very specific tasks such as
technical support, maintenance of a BBS, outreach on Capitol Hill
among specific organizations who in-turn are responsible for
implementing a strategy that has been set by a general Caucus or a
board of directors;

> a third model would be to establish smaller working groups of RAB
members to focus on developing policy on very specific issues such as
health risk assessment or RAB guidances with the overall program
coordinated by a RAB council or board of directors.

Each of these models have positive and negative elements to them. We
are very much interested in hearing other perspectives on these and
other alternatives. Furthermore, aside from the question of goals,
objectives and structure there is the immediate question of how to
address the issues being discussed by DERTF. As a result, Arc does
not have a set agenda regarding the structure of a national entity or
how it will operate.

3. Arc's objectives for the January Caucus

Our objectives for the January caucus are therefore to:

> Bring as many RAB community members from around the United States
 as we can together to participate in the discussion
> Discuss topics on the upcoming DERTF meeting agenda
> Discuss and possibly create a national RAB caucus and structure

4. Maximizing the participation of RAB members

With all due respect to the valuable service that Careerpro provides,
as I've stated in the past, one of Arc's ongoing concerns with regard
to using the BBS as the vehicle for making these decisions is the
audience participating in the discussion is far too small to be at all
representative of the community-based parties interested in the
outcome. From our point of view the more RAB members that participate
in the discussion, the more likely it is that the outcome will reflect
the opinions of most RAB members. The reason we believe the January
Caucus is the logical venue for making such decisions is because we
will be making every effort to get a responsibly sized sample of RAB
members to attend from around the country. Decisions made at that venue wil
l have greater credibility because they will be more representative of
RABs as a whole.

5. An open decision-making process

Arc is committed to democratic decision-making processes and the
Caucus will be no exception. As indicated above, Arc will be hiring
an independent contractor to facilitate the Caucus. If a structure
is created for RAB community member cooperation at the January caucus,
Arc's goal is that it be done as a result of an open deliberative
democratic process involving the Caucus' participants.

6. Following up the Caucus

After the conclusion of the Caucus, Arc will be producing its
proceedings and will distribute them back to all RAB members, and to
all associated organizations and individuals that have requested
copies. While the contents of the proceedings will be decided at the
Caucus, presumably they will include the results of the meeting and
details about the decisions that were made including points of contact
to follow-up on the national RAB campaign.

So that's as much of our point of view right now as we know of it. I
hope these comments are helpful in-terms of moving the discussions
forward. Thanks for your interest.

On behalf of Arc Ecology

Saul Bloom