1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: arc@igc.org
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 1997 12:43:18 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: More On National RAB Caucus

The response to Arc's recent procedural proposal for discussing the
development of a national RAB network/ Caucus demonstrates the need
for such a process. It's important to recognize that there may be
some rather fundamental differences of opinion with regard to how a
national RAB effort might operate. If the development of a national
effort is to succeed, it is important to have a process by which these
issues can be discussed and potentially resolved. Toward that end,
Arc proposed that discussion papers be developed, circulated and
discussed by electronic and conventional means, and deliberated/
perhaps acted upon at the upcoming RAB Caucus meeting in January. Our
goal was to begin the process of identifying points of agreement and
disagreement in a manner that lead to the knitting together a common
frame work for creating a network.

I would like to use the issue of participation in the network by
individuals other than community representatives serving on RABs as an
example. Some individuals participating in the Cpro bulletin board
discussion have made the point that it would be important to have DoD,
regulatory and other individuals involved in the network. I would
like to make a counterpoint -- particularly as it concerns the
participation of representatives of the DoD, regulators or contractors
in Caucus/ network meetings.

>From my point of view, a reasonable argument can be made that the
failure thus far of RAB community members to meet in private as a
national caucus has prevented us from developing common strategies for
addressing cleanup and other RAB issues. This situation has in turn
contributed to the current state of affairs wherein the DoD has
successfully promoted dirty transfers of contaminated property to
Congress and is in the process of increasing the health risk for the
communities that neighbor and that will eventually be built on closing
base properties. (The consistent pressure from DoD to save money by
using lower reuse cleanup levels comes at a time when the Center for
Disease Control has identified a massive increase in childhood cancers
that may originate with exposure to environmental contamination.)
RABs can organize themselves to make a significant and positive impact
on cleanup locally and nationally, however the participation of the
DoD, agencies and contractors in caucus or network discussions
will inhibit that potential.

*** The arguments in favor of allowing DoD, agency and contractor
participation ***

The three most frequent objections to barring DoD, regulatory and
contractor reps from Caucus membership are:
>that we need to engage DoD directly in discussion to resolve issues,
and its corollary -- they have valuable input to add to the discussion;
>that limiting the membership of such meetings is anti-democratic; and
>that excluding them will polarize the situation and alienate the
agencies and contractors.

*** A counterpoint to the first argument ***

Currently all of the forums available for these discussions are either
directly controlled by the military or by a government regulator or
contractor. Indeed, I was under the impression that the objective of
RABs, the FFERDC process, and the regional conferences hosted by
Careerpro over the last several years is to bring the Defense
Department, regulatory interests, contractors and public together in
forums to inform each other and (in the case of RABs and the FFERDC)
affect decision-making. With no disrespect intended, the reason many
RAB members across the nation are talking about participating in a
caucus is the general perception that the process is not meeting
expectations with regard to commitment to cleanup and community participation.

In a survey done of RAB members by Arc in 1995, over 60% believed they
were being left out of the majority of serious decision-making around
cleanup. Between the creation of the RAB process in 1993 and today,
numerous decisions have been and continue to be made with regard to
our individual bases and DoD policy regarding cleanup in which RAB
members are nonparticipants. In fact it is my and many other RAB
members view that despite the outward appearance of public
participation in cleanup decision-making, our role remains
unreasonably proscribed and the situation has worsened since this
administration took office.

If the forums that currently exist to advance discussion between the
DoD, the regulators, contractors and community are weak, why would
creating another change things? I believe it would be far more
productive to improve the forums that already exist. I think that
instead of recreating the broadly based discussion that takes place in
other venues, it would be far better for RAB community members to meet
by themselves, develop recommendations to improve cleanup and
community participation, and bring them to the appropriate forums,
namely back to the RABs, to DERTF and the Pentagon and Congress for action.

*** The value of discussions without the influence of DoD, agencies
and contractors ***

Based upon three years of caucus experience in the San Francisco/
Monterey Bay Areas and California, the ability to meet in private to
discuss issues and develop strategies did prove to be useful.

Caucus participants learned that there was virtually no consistency in
the management of the RABs or the application of guidances from base
to base. Many RABs were not provided with copies of their relevant
guidances, that by-laws or charters frequently contain clauses
prohibiting individuals from discussing their perspectives with the
press, and there was a generalized problem obtaining complete sets of
environmental studies for review for those that wanted them - making
it very difficult for community representatives to participate
knowledgeably in the cleanup process. Although DoD has taken to
posting much of this stuff on the web, some RAB members, particularly
those from poor communities, lack computer access. In some cases RAB
members received business cards and nick knacks, but never got minutes
of their meetings. Some RAB members had strictly limited terms, which
lead to the removal o f some RAB participants in the middle of their
terms as Community Co-Chair or in the middle of developing comments on
cleanup plans.

Caucus meetings were frequently the first time RAB community members
saw guidances, saw each others bylaws, and learned how members of some
RABs were able to obtain their documents. The Caucus process enabled
RAB members to organize around issues where there was common agreement
and to project community voices into the process. The California
Caucus met concurrently with the meetings of the California
Environmental Protection Agency Base Closures Environmental Advisory
Committee, utilizing a process similar to the one Arc articulated for
the upcoming January National Caucus. As a result, the California
Caucus was able to assert a RAB voice within a collaborative
decision-making process between the State and the military regarding
cleanup. Two of the most notable improvements successfully promoted
by the Caucus were the opportunity for RAB community members to
participate in Base Cleanup Team meetings and expanding the representation
of RAB members and Local Reuse Authorities on the Advisory Group. The
RAB Caucus was in the process of helping the California EPA develop a
forum for discussing and hopefully resolving cleanup and reuse issues
in the State when the Defense Department cut the Defense State
Memorandum of Agreement budget for California resulting in the shut
down the Advisory Group.

With regard to the question of lending DoD, Agency and contractor
perspectives, expertise and knowledge to the discussions, we have
found a large pool of well informed community members of RABs that
help enormously in the discussions. Similarly we have found no lack
of RAB community members with former or current ties to DoD, the
regulators and contractors and therefore believe those perspectives
will be well represented.

The privacy of the Caucus meetings provided participants with the
space to discuss issues free of the influence of DoD, the regulators
and contractors. In this way when Caucus participants went to the
regular forums they were prepared and had well articulated positions
on issues that enabled them individually and as the Caucus as a whole
to make better use of the venues they were involved in.

*** Counterpoints to the last two arguments in favor of DoD, agency
and contractor participation in Caucus/ Network meetings ***

With regard to the concern about democracy, polarizing the situation
and alienating the agencies, I simply do not share these concerns.
Let me use a recent policy dispute between RAB Caucus members in the
San Francisco Bay Area and some base environmental coordinators
working on local Navy base cleanups to illustrate my point. RAB
members asked to be able to participate in the Base Cleanup Team and
Remedial Project Managers meetings, the meetings where the actual
interagency cleanup decisions are discussed and made. At first, a
number of the local base environmental coordinators responded by
saying those meetings were closed because of the sensitive nature of
the issues discussed such as contract performance and award
processes. The Caucus responded stating that while it clearly
recognized the need for closed meetings on a number of issues up to
and including cleanup strategy discussions, there was a basic public
interest in those meetings and that a general principle of participation
and partnership should be the norm. After some wrangling, the
agreement reached opened the meetings to RAB participation while
recognizing the need for occasional private conversation.

I believe the same is true with regard to Caucuses of RAB members.
Just as the agencies advocate their own need to meet privately, they
understand and have mostly respected our need to occasionally do so as
well. Based on my own experience, the Caucuses have received a lot of
behind the scenes support and understanding.

Finally, in my opinion, a healthy democracy allows and encourages
groups of individuals to organize in support of their interests be
they self or civil. In this case I believe that democracy will be
best served by RAB community members having the space to articulate
their concerns and agree on activities and objectives in a process
that will make the best use of the open forums that currently exist.

*** How the upcoming Caucus meeting attempts to resolve these points ***

While there is clearly a need to meet privately to develop strategies
and positions, the Caucus must eventually interact with the Agencies.
After all, if there is an objective to any of this, it is to influence
policy and performance. As indicated above, we see the best way to
accomplish this objective is to maximize the opportunities presented
in the already existing forums.

The thinking behind the January national Caucus is to enable RAB
community members to meet both privately as a Caucus and together with
members of the Defense Environmental Restoration Task Force. This
method would combine the need to have separate conversation with the
need to engage the DoD, regulatory community and contractors
directly. It is important to keep in mind that the thrust of the
January DERTF meeting is somewhat different than that of the Careerpro
workshop in Massachusetts, which is a frame of reference for some of
the discussants. The DERTF is the advisory committee to the Secretary
of Defense on base cleanup issues and the January meeting is a working
meeting of that body. It will be considering specific issues and
making recommendations. Arc previously uploaded a provisional agenda
for the DERTF meeting. This is an opportunity for RAB members to have
a voice in this important process. The Caucus will enable RAB members
to provide input into the DERTF's meeting as a group, if there is
agreement, and as individuals if there is not. Ultimately, the input
that results from the private discussions of the Caucus would then
properly initiate discussions in the exiting fora which in turn brings
the DoD, the regulators and contractors back into the picture as the
deliberative process wends its way to decision.

*** Summary ***

>From my point of view the question of who participates is as central
to the core of the entity as what it is the Caucus/ network will do
because its membership will determine its course. If the objective of
a network of RAB members is to provide us with a forum to debate the
military on RAB issues, than I would simply observe that we will be at
it a very long time before we see any result. If on the other hand
the objective is to have an impact on policy and actions, then
narrowly focusing the membership to RAB community members is more
likely to achieve results.

It is for these and many other strategic reasons that I would suggest
that the Caucus/ network meetings should be reserved for RAB community
members. The Caucus/ network meetings should be, in part, devoted to
developing strategies to maximize the participatory potential of
already established venues like the RABs, DERTF, Congress and at the
regional conferences of organizations like Careerpro and Global Green.