1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Theodore J. Henry" <thenry@umabnet.ab.umd.edu>
Date: 03 Oct 1997 13:00:29
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: NARAB and National RAB Caucus

Hello all!

I wanted to type briefly on something I have noticed in recent messages on
the listserver, namely the discussions over NARAB and the National RAB
Caucus which; I will refer to the latter as the NRC although that is
already taken by at least two I can think of.

When I started to type to you regarding the idea of a National Association
of RABs, hence the name NARAB, I had pictured somewhat of a passive
organization that people would have the opportunity to be a "member" of by
the efforts they make associated with RABs. I saw it basically guided by
a smaller group, and possibly a board, who would volunteer there time in a
national level effort to resolve chronic problems. I gave the example of
the H-field incident at APG where a mustard round was detonated 3 years
ago as a high explosive round releasing approximately 11 pounds of mustard
to the environment. The RAB still has not received a presentation on
the findings of the investigative board and subsequent changes. Anyway,
the point being that this body could try to apply balanced pressure in the
correct areas to solve such problems that should have been addressed.
Such chronic hurdles continue to degrade the working
relationships between military sites and local communities,
something I believe all involved parties would like to
improve.

Additionally, the NARAB could help Career/Pro and others improve
communication between the different RABs, and hook up different groups
with similar problems so they might learn from each others experiences.
The NARAB concept as I thought of it, was not going to be "a maker of
national community policy" if you will by voting, etc. I did not see it
as having different subcommittees working on different issues. While I
think it may be a good idea, I have reservations about putting more work
on those working at there own RABs. My concept of the NARAB was to reduce
the work load a tiny bit on the local volunteers by maybe taking care of
one or two of their problems, through letters of support for the community
sent to the local installation, regional EPA, etc., and through a working
dialogue with those higher up the chains of command in the Forces, EPA,
etc.

The National RAB Caucus (NRC) concept appears center on a more active
group, with voting members, committees, etc. I think an avenue for the
different RABs to have more influence is important so I support Saul's
concept as much as I have seen of it, and as he is open for input I will
offer my advice and suggestions from my experience of working with the
community at APG, various military leaders and talking with other active
community members. Because Saul Bloom has been working on his for awhile,
and has funding, I figured it is appropiate for ARC to take the lead in
setting up a national group. As it will serve the community volunteers I
have met, it needs to exist and I will help as it is possible. Hopefully
as the NRC concept moves forward it will fill the need I saw for the
NARAB.

I spent this time to clarify that I see 2 different concepts, the NARAB
and the National RAB Caucus - one being a passive body (currently in a
holding pattern), and the other being a more active group in the sense
described above. The National RAB Caucus is moving forward as we speak and
we all will see where it is going in 1998, and hopefully participate in
the development of a positive organization working with the different
parties to improve national clean-up at military installations.

For clarity, I think it is important for participants on the listserver to
keep these 2 concepts separate in your minds and not to use the terms
interchangably. This will help all involved as we incubate ideas and offer
suggestions on the large picture of clean-up and community participation.

Sincerely

Ted Henry