1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Peter Strauss <pstrauss@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 14:05:46 -0700
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Fort Ordnance

Lenny,

Like Laura, I have not read the subject document, but I think your
comments were well thought out. Let me add a few points for any further
discussion.
1. If, as you say the EE/CA does not define the area to be covered
and does not define technologies, how can the Army justify doing an EE/CA
rather than a feasibility study (FS) normally required under CERCLA. The
FS would have had to address these issues. This highlights the fact that
 too many facilities are relying on EE/CAs to shortcut the process, and
they are getting away with it.

2. It may be useful to know that at Lawrence Livermore National
Laboratory, Site 300, DOE agreed to hold public meetings after each
EE/CA. There is no regulatory requirement for a public meeting following
a non-time critical removal action, which does not have a ROD associated
with it.

Peter Strauss