1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Peter Strauss <pstrauss@igc.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 12:02:17 -0700
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Fort Ordnance

some information on what an EE/CA is. Here goes a short explanation. If
anyone has questions, I would be happy to answer them.

The Superfund process prescrbes certain procedures that a responsible
party must follow. This is usually referred to as the RI/FS process
(remedial investigation/feasibility study), followed by a proposed plan
and a Record of Decision (ROD). The content and scope of the RI and the
FS are also prescribed, and these documents are usually quite detailed.
There are two major exceptions in EPA regulations that allow one to not
follow this process. The first is for time critical removal actions that
present an imminent threat to human health or the environment. From a
procedural standpoint, because these actions are usually necessary, they
should not be controversial. The second exception is for "non-time
critical" removal actions. Obviously, they do not present an immediate
threat. In recent years, deeming activities at a Superfund site as
non-time critical removal actions has become more and more popular.
Their popularity stems from the fact that the RI/FS does not have to be
completed, and is instead replaced with a far less detailed document
called an Engineering Ebvaluation/Cost Analysis, hence EE/CA. Public
scrutiny over EE/CAs is not as great as an RI/FS, (i.e., no requirement
for a public hearing) and there is no Record of Decision (ROD). The ROD
is legally binding at Superfund sites. In my previous work, this last
point has been a major issue.
Peter Strauss