1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: marianne.thaeler@sfsierra.sierraclub.org
Date: 16 Dec 1997 10:42:53
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Airspace

Reply from Marianne:
No, military training routes are NOT tied to DOD's ownership of land beneath
it. Most training routes are not over DOD owned lands. If you look at FAA
general aviation maps of western States, in very fine print or by reference in
very fine print, you also see Cruise Missile Corridors, most - if not all
now abandoned, criss crossing the country. I discovered this when reading my
FAA maps with a magnifying glass for ground features one day.
Marianne

.From Henry:
I have heard of owning airspace, and it has been described to me as "up to
infinity". The leasing or selling of this space is new to me; I had been
given the impression that the military ownership of airspace would be tied
to DoD's ownership of the land beneath it. I know permission must be
obtained to fly in such air space, so in exchange for such permission
there may be a fee - hence, this could be leasing. I unfortunately am not
familiar with the law that gives the military sky ownership, and the
requirements associated with this ownership, but I assume that one of
the many military representatives on this listserver will be responding to
your request on this level.

I also think it may be good for others on this list to be given a bit more
information about where this foreign training is taking place, as well as
the expansions you speak of.

Hope all is well

Sincerely

Ted Henry