1997 CPEO Military List Archive

From: isisGU@hamp.hampshire.edu
Date: 12 Dec 1997 19:15:19
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: The Atsugi Lawsuit Article

Polly,

There was a similar, precedent-setting case in Chicopee, Massachusetts in
'92 or '93(?). The suit was brought by citizens living near Westover Air
Force Reserve Base, who observed that their property values had
dramatically declined as a direct result of the noise from upscaled flight
activity, partly due to reactivation during the Gulf War. I don't know
the legal and monetary specifics, but the short story is that the affected
citizens won significant monetary compensation, and the Air Force was
required to curtail it's flight schedule and and restrict its flight paths
to minimize further impacts.

I'll be happy to help track down what specifics I can (I think there is a
gag-order on some info) from the attorney involved, if that's something
people can use -- just let me know.

Jeff Green
Institute for Science & Interdisciplinary Studies
Prescott House D-1, 893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002-5001
Phone (413)582-5582
Fax (413)582-5448