1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Peter Strauss <pstrauss@igc.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 12:27:18 -0800
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: NPL DEFERRAL PROPOSAL

I am concerned about another feature of this proposal. That is
the question of how EPA would go about obtaining information to
evaluate community acceptance or support. Would there be a
notice of potential deferral to the broad community? At sites
where there is no SSAB or RAB, how would the agency obtain
community input? For example, Lawrence Livermore National has
two Superfund sites, but no SSAB. Even if each site has a RAB,
is it realistic for EPA to expect that the RAB speak for the
larger community? The would reflect a change in policy about
what the Advisory Board is charged with, as I understand it.
Third, how do we define community acceptance or support. Is it
consensus?; no response?; majority, etc.

peter