1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: joelf@cape.com
Date: 19 Jan 1998 13:19:32
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: SUPPORT LETTER

Dear Member of the CareerPro News Group:

We offer the following letter for your consideration and
support. It would be great if we could have signatures from
individuals surrounding all of the artillery ranges and
munitions plants represented in the cpro listing, and anyone
else working on the cleanup of military bases.

Implementing the proposal contained in this letter would have
two purposes:

1) It would begin an assessment, and hopefully an end to the
danger posed by artillery, mortar firing, and demolition at
other military bases with impact areas, and 2) It would lend
support to the effort to remedy the effects of such firing at
the Massachusetts Military Reservation. Of course, we would
release the letter to the press.

If you would like to join with us in signing this letter, please
send your name, local military installation and affiliation to
Paul Zanis, <ZAP59@aol.com>.

Thank you.

Paul Zanis
Laura Olah
Richard Hugus
James Kinney
Joel Feigenbaum

January 17, 1998

Sherri Wasserman-Goodman
Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Environmental Security
The Pentagon - Room 3 - E808
Washington, DC 20301-3400

Carol Browner
Administrator
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
Headquarters Building--Waterside Mall
401 M Street, S.W.
Washington, D.C. 20460

Dear Ms. Browner and Ms. Goodman:

We wish to bring to your attention the implications of results
obtained so far from an EPA-supervised study of the soil and
groundwater at the 2,200 acre Camp Edwards impact area at the
Massachusetts Military Reservation.

Since the beginning of the study in the Summer of 1997,
carcinogenic contamination has been documented in the soil and
in the aquifer below the impact area and at firing positions. So
far twenty wells have been found to contain explosives
contamination and twenty-one wells still need to be completed.
Numerous soil samples in the impact area have shown an array
explosives, heavy metals, other inorganics, herbicides, and
volatile organic compounds. Soil samples taken from the gunnery
positions show chemical contamination from propellants.
Moreover, the latest findings appear to confirm the existence of
at least two plumes of explosives-related contamination
spreading from the impact area toward remaining clean water
supplies on Upper Cape Cod. As you may be aware, water supplies
for the entire region of Upper Cape Cod have already been
damaged by extensive groundwater contamination from Otis Air
Base.

It is now clear that artillery, mortar, and demolition practice
threaten groundwater resources. Therefore we urge you, the
officials most responsible for overseeing the environmental
effects of military activities,to create pilot studies of the
soil and water at each of the major artillery and mortar ranges
in the United States. These studies would assess the danger
posed by munitions firing and demolition at each of these ranges
while providing data from a diverse set of conditions to augment
the findings at the Massachusetts Military Reservation.

We would be willing to meet with you in order to discuss details
of this proposal. Tribes, indigenous peoples and all other
stakeholders should have a valid, active role in setting
criteria and methodology for this testing. We look forward to
hearing from you about this urgent matter.

Sincerely,

Joel Feigenbaum
Alliance for Base Cleanup (MMR)

Richard Hugus
Otis Conversion Project, Massachusetts Military Reservation (MMR)

James Kinney
Alliance for Base Cleanup (MMR)

Laura Olah
Executive Director of Citizens for Safe Water Around Badger (CSWAB)

Paul Zanis
MMR Impact Area Review Team

etc.