1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: marylia <marylia@igc.org>
Date: 18 Feb 1998 10:34:51
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: organizer position

Dear friends. The following is an announcement of a Community Organizer
position opening at Tri-Valley CAREs. Please note that the candidate would
need to live in or be willing to relocate to the San Francisco Bay
Area/Livermore area. If you are interested or know of someone who might be
interested, please read on. Peace, Marylia

Tri-Valley CAREs
Job Announcement
Community Organizer position available immediately.

Tri-Valley CAREs is a grassroots organization working to create positive
change, focusing on five goals: 1) To end nuclear weapons research, design
and testing at nuclear weapons labs in the United States with a special
focus on our nuclear neighbor, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
(LLNL); 2) To convert LLNL to socially beneficial, environmentally sound,
civilian research; 3) To clean up the nucear legacy at LLNL and reduce
environmental and health hazards; 4) To abolish nuclear weapons worldwide;
and 5) To promote forthright communication and democratic decision-making
in public policy and on nuclear weapons issues, locally, nationally and
globally.

Job Responsibilities Include:

1. Maintaining our current membership.
* Attend our monthly meetings.
* Develop and send mailings to members.
* Complete and maintain our volunteer skills database.

2. Expanding our membership.
* Speak at public events.
* Develop campaigns to expand our membership.
* Help with community events.

3. Developing general community support.
* Expand our community network.
* Work on our local issues to build our credibility and acceptance
with the public.
* Produce articles, flyers and/or other outreach materials.

4. Working cooperatively with our Executive Director, our staff, and our
active members on various projects related to community support and
membership.

5. Representing our organization at both formal and informal events.

Qualifications:

* Community organizing experience.
* Some knowledge of, and concern for, environmental issues, preferably
nuclear issues.
* Interest in learning generally about nuclear weapons issues.
* Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
* Excellent ability to interface within both our organization and the
community.
* Ability to work independently on specified projects.
* Must have a car.

Salary:

$15 per hour.

Hours:

1/2 to 3/4 time.

To Apply:

Send resume and cover letter, along with a writing sample, to:
Tri-Valley CAREs, 5720 East Avenue, #116, Livermore, CA 94550.
You may also call for further information at (510) 443-7148.
E-mail: marylia@igc.org

Deadline:

Position open immediately. We will begin interviews during the last week
of February 1998, and plan to hire by the end of March 1998.