1998 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Chris Shirley <arc@igc.org>
Date: 01 Oct 1998 16:03:27
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: EPA AGREES TO EXTEND LEAD DEADLINE

ATTENTION READERS OF THE CPEO BULLETIN BOARD

WE DID IT --EPA AGREES TO EXTEND LEAD DEADLINE!

>>> EPA extends 403 rulemaking -- definition of lead-based paint hazards
and lead-contaminated soil deadline until November 30 <<<

Congratulations and thanks to everyone who sent in letters and comments

As a result of YOUR REQUESTS, the EPA has extended the deadline to submit
comments on their lead hazard proposal to November 30, 1998.

NOW THE REAL WORK BEGINS....

Now we have time to inform RABs and other affected people of the rule
making, encourage comments and develop an alternative proposal that will
protect the health of the nation's children. Arc Ecology will post our
draft comments and suggestions for modifying the rule during the week of
October 5. We encourage you to make use of them and to make suggestions on
how we might improve our comments. Our goal is to start a national
conversation about lead-based paint hazards, and in particular about cleanup
of lead in soil. We will be working to develop a specific proposal to
submit to EPA during the open public comment period.

WHERE TO FIND THE FULL TEXT OF THE EPA NOTICE: The proposed rule was
published in the Federal Register on June 3, 1998. The best website to find
the text of the proposed rule along with many of the background and support
documents is: www.epa.gov/docs/lead/ HUD also has a webpage that helps put
the issue in context, but the proposed rule is not posted there. That
address is: "www.hud.gov/lea/

ANY QUESTIONS? Please call or email Arc Ecology (415-495-1786). We will
be happy to share whatever material and insight we've collected on this
issue.

And again -- thank-you.