1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Susan Gawarecki <loc@icx.net>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 15:17:25 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Seeking feedback on experiences with ATSDR

Quite the contrary to Doris' problems, we have had very good experience
with ATSDR regarding DOE pollution impacts on the communities
surrounding and downstream of Oak Ridge.  They have always been willing
to meet with our group, and we have worked cooperatively on a number of
projects.  My impression has been that the technical people are quite
concerned with doing quality science and want to be effective in their
public outreach.

Some of the work we've done with ATSDR includes:
- Creating a brochure describing the nature of the fish advisory on
Lower Watts Bar Reservior, the relative risks of eating various types of
fish,  and how to prepare fish in the lowest risk manner for PCB
ingestion.  Tenn. Wildlife Resources Agency also blessed the brochure.
- Re an exposure assessment for PCBs and mercury for fish & turtle
eaters on LWBR--we commented on the plan, helped publicize the need for
participants, and reviewed the results of the study.
- Are in the process of helping plan the format of a series of public
meetings to determine a public health agenda for Oak Ridge, relative to
potential exposures from DOE facilites.

Our main point of contact at ATSDR is Jack Hanley, and we have also
worked with other members of the agency.

It has been my observation that ATSDR does have to supplement its budget
appropriation with cooperative work that includes financial support from
other agencies, so money may play a role in what it is willing or able
to take on.

I'm curious about the nature of the problems Memphis stakeholders are
having and their contact(s) at the agency.

--Susan Gawarecki