1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: peter strauss <pstrauss@igc.apc.org>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 13:56:47 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Ground-Water Treatment Wastes Valuable Resources

Hi Laura,

Based on limited research for the Tucson community, I identified two
communities that used treated water to supplement potable supplies: one
in Scottsdale AZ, and another in LA.  Unfortunately, I don't know much
more about their opinions about drinking water with very minor levels of
contamination.  The Tucson environmental community was adamant about not
using it to supplement potable supplies, and the multi-million dollar
system that was in place (i.e., Air stripper - GAC - water supply line)
was altered by City referendum so that treated water is either
discharged to surface water or re-injected. The Tucson community had
been drinking a contaminated supply for over 30 years, and it felt any
additional molecule of contaminant was too much for them.  It was also
interesting that some children refused to drink public water because of
the illness that they had seen that was attributed, rightly or wrongly,
to the water.  Add to this the psychological effect of drinking water
that may have small amounts of contamination, and this option quickly
refuted by the public.

In my opinion, I agree with the Tucson community, although the treated
water may be perfectly safe.  Just think about all the things you would
need to worry about: is the treatment system working, and working to a
high level of performance (in Tucson, prior to having the system
altered, there was an EPA trained community inspection team that would
make surprise visits to the treatment system to insure that everything
was working OK); can you have infants or pregnant women drink the water;
what happens if there is new research that changes or understanding of
the toxicity of relatively small amounts of chemical exposure over a
long period of time (e.g., we all know now that there is substantial
evidence that chlorinated hydrocarbons are linked in some way to hormone
disruption, yet health risk assessments do not really take this into
consideration - my opinion is that in five or ten years this will be as
recognized as global warming); etc.  Therefore the Precautionary
Principle should be used - don't put small amounts of contamination in
the water supply.

(Laura, I think I'll post this on CPRO)

Peter Strauss