1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Mervtano@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 1999 09:42:33 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: DOD QUESTIONS EPA INSTITUTIONAL CONTROLS POLICY

In a message dated 4/23/1999 2:56:58 PM Mountain Daylight Time,
lsiegel@cpeo.org writes:

<< CPEO has been trying for some time to set up a national forum that brings
 all stakeholders - including federal and state agencies, industry, local
 government, and community activists - to discuss this significant and
 complex issue. I don't urge the finalization of policies until public
 stakeholders have had a chance to offer their views, but the policy should
 be driven by the need to protect, not the opportunity to redevelop. >>

Lennie:

Add me to the roster of folks who believe that some sort of forum is
needed to examine the issue of institutional controls.  You will recall
from the FFERDC days that I believe the activist and EPA focus on deed
restrictions, zoning and land use regulation is shortsighted.  I believe
institutional controls also include, inter alia: science and technology
development programs that can yield improved characterization and
monitoring technologies required for long-term monitoring; educational
programs that help develop the required human resources and build the
institutional memory; technology development programs that result in
safer, cheaper cleanup; and the democratization of development of science
policy in the US A lot of what I define as institutional controls, in my
mind, fall outside of the ambit of EPA review.  The questions that need to
be examined by a broad range of stakeholders are: What are the needed
institutional controls? and How do we get them institutionalized?