1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Peter Schlesinger <pschles@whrc.org>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 11:23:22 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: TAPP/TAG funding for EPA/Army-backed non-RAB independent assessment??

Hello,

I'm on a non-RAB citizen review committee (Impact Area Review Team)
overseeing the National Guard Bureau's Impact Area Groundwater Study
(IAGS) at the Massachusetts Military Reservation (MMR). The over 80 years
of use of the MMR's impact area and surrounding lands has badly
contaminated soils and groundwater of the Cape Cod's sole source aquifer
with explosives, VOCs, SVOCs, pesticides and herbicides. Our MMR is a
large Superfund Site with ~75+ sites on the NPL in the south of the base,
that area is under jurisdiction of the Installation Restoration Program
(IRP) which is the broader cleanup effort for our NPL sites. Our IAGS is
paid from Army Operations and Maintenance Monies, whatever that is. In any
case, we applied recently at the recommendation of our EPA Region 1 and
military team leaders to the Army for a TAPP (to get an independent
technical review to assess the data being generated thus far), and were
denied (because our study is funded out of the wrong pool of funds --
because we are not a Superfund Site). If we were, then we could apply for
the use of TAG monies or TAPPs. Is anyone aware of any
state/public/private funding sources from whom we ought to pursue funds
for our desperately needed assessment.

Peter Schlesinger
--
Peter Schlesinger