1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Dick and Jill Miller <MMS@TheMillers.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 15:54:30 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Off-Base Sampling

Lenny Siegel wrote (Sun, 01 Aug 1999 16:36:55 -0700):

> A question came up today at our meeting of community members from Army
> Ammunition Plants. It actually applies to all military installation.
>
> Where there are indications of possible contamination migration, does
> the installation in your area conduct off-site sampling,  of
> groundwater, surface water, and/or other media?
> --
>
> Lenny Siegel
> Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight
> c/o PSC, 222B View St., Mountain View, CA 94041
> Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545
> Fax: 650/968-1126
> lsiegel@cpeo.org
> http://www.cpeo.org

Absolutely!  Although off-base sampling can be more hassle, it often
will be the key to greater success in analysis and remediation.

This question was central to our RAB community-members' original
"contract" -- would our work be confined to on-base or not?  Our refusal
to agree to that caused months of claims by the Army that we "had to do
so".  But our EPA and Massachusetts agency representatives saw no such
problems, and we held firm.  Ultimately, the Army refused to sign OUR
simple wording and, changing its tune, said there was no reason to
require such a contract anyway!  We've proceeded well without one, for
years.

Our base's toxic groundwater plumes extend beyond the base, and our
major focus of concern is town drinking wells a mile beyond the base.
NOT to test off-base would be irresponsible.

If your RAB was talked into accepting an on-base constraint while there
are off-base concerns, lose that constraint!  Use examples such as our
RAB and the one at the Massachusetts Military Reservation.  Of course,
which off-site locations are suitable demands some thought.  But there's
no reason to have the important off-base tool be defined as off-limits.

--A. Richard Miller <MMS@TheMillers.com>
  Community Member, SSCOM RAB (U.S. Army Natick Laboratories)
--
A. Richard & Jill A. Miller            | MILLER MICROCOMPUTER SERVICES |
Mailto:MMS@TheMillers.com              | 61 Lake Shore Road            |