1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1999 14:25:25 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Fort Ord and public participation

The Fort Ord RAB was disbanded because most of its time was spent
arguing over procedural issues, not because members of the RAB
criticized the Army and regulatory agencies.

This week I attended a public meeting on the cleanup at Fort Ord. The
presentations, questions, and discussions focused on substantive issues
related to cleanup. A number of people critical of the Army had
opportunities to make their points, on the record, in a public setting.
It was somewhat similar to the successful Study Sessions CPEO organized
on behalf of the RAB. In fact, afterwards I discussed with various
parties ways to encourage members of the public - who were turned off by
the RAB - to participate in the process. That is, the dissolution of the
Fort Ord RAB appears to have enhanced public participation there, not
hindered it.

The Appeals Court found that the Superfund law does not bar citizens
from intervening early in the CERCLA process at federal facilities. I
support that, but I'm disappointed that such a right does not exist at
private facilities. Now the case goes back to court to determine whether
the California Environmental Quality Act applies to hazardous waste
consolidation at Fort Ord.

Lenny

c/o PSC, 222B View St., Mountain View, CA 94041
lsiegel@cpeo.org