1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: bmbsqd@home.com
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:24:37 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Tracking EOD Incidents

There IS a central data collection for Army EOD incidents and very
likely for the other services as well.  While it has changed over the
years and many units have closed or relocated, the basic structure is
much like it was even 35 years ago.

-- A unit gets an incident

-- They fill out an Incident Report and assign a unit incident number,
then respond to the incident and do the mission

-- Special incidents get a number from the EOD Battalion

-- The unit's reports go to the EOD Battalion (formerly called EOD
COntrol Centers or Teams), normally on a quarterly basis.

-- The EOD Battalion also sends a quarterly report to EOD Group (in Ft.
Gillem, GA) which will contain all the data from all of its subordinate
EOD Companies (approximately 10 to each EOD Battalion)

-- The EOD Group sends a quarterly report to FORSCOM

While I am no longer certain of the file retention periods, there is an
effort to keep these documents.  If I were to begin a search for a
database I would start at the EOD Group at Fort Gillem.  The reports
they receive from the EOD Battalions are more than likely just
compilations, however, that is always a good place to start.  An actual
copy of the incident report AND THE YEARLY INCIDENT TRACKING JOURNAL
would likely be at the Battalion level, and most certainly still at the
unit.

Even though there is a structure set up, many EOD units retain copies of
these reports for longer than they have to.  A good EOD NCO always has a
big, fat file full of unit historical records on EOD incidents.

Good Luck!

You can find archived listserve messages on the CPEO website at http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.

Got a Favorite Topic to Discuss?  Start a List at Topica.
http://www.topica.com/t/4