1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: marianne.thaeler@sfsierra.sierraclub.org
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1999 16:51:57 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Concerns for Marine Mammals

Re:
US Navy's recently-published Draft Environmental Impact Statement for the
Surveillance Towed Array Sensor Low Frequency Active Sonar (LFAS) program.

Recently I have  heard from Marine Mammal scientists and environmental groups
opposed to the testing of the above systems. Amongst numerous complaints
to the
DEIS, they believe testing is premature as existing data has not been analyzed
to determine the exact impacts on marine mammals.

Premature testing seems to be more prevalent than ever amongst the Services'
programs. Premature testing leads to unacceptable failures and embarassment to
the Services, which they do not now need.
Marianne Thaeler

You can find archived listserve messages on the CPEO website at http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.

We've got email newsletters galore!  Check 'em out at Topica.
http://www.topica.com/t/5