1999 CPEO Military List Archive

From: kendricka@ttnus.com
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 13:46:23 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: RE: [CPEO-MEF] Natural Attenuation

Although designed to be used in conjunction with other remedial alternatives
or source control activities, Natural Attenuation, as a stand alone remedial
alternative, (and by definition) does not include active remediation.
Therefore, although I find your list humorous, I also find it in error.  For
example, ENHANCED NATURAL ATTENUATION means DOING something to speed up
bioremediation such as inoculating with microbes (e.g., bioremediation),
injecting air (e.g., air stripping), adding nutrients (e.g. bioremediation),
or providing geochemical stimulants (e.g., using ORC/HRS).  Also, MOALSSES
REMEDIATION involves injecting molasses (a carbon source) to accelerate
insitu bioremediation.  PHYTO-REMEDIATION typically involves planting
vegetation that either remove or destroy the contaminants.  All of these are
DOING something, and are therefore not natural attenuation.  LONG-TERM
MONITORING (which has recently been changed to "Compliance Monitoring") has
as much to do with natural attenuation as with pump and treat, or insitu
vitrification for that matter.  Compliance Monitoring is that monitoring
required for the majority of remedial systems to confirm that they are
meeting the objectives and are therefore in compliance with ARARs.

Finally, as a professional, I find little humor (and even less value) in
comments like WINK AND WALK.  If you have questions, comments, issues, or
concerns, that is great; but be professional.

Andy Kendrick
Tetra Tech NUS
Pittsburgh, PA
kendricka@ttnus.com

You can find archived listserve messages on the CPEO website at http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.

If this email has been forwarded to you and you'd like to subscribe, please send a message to:

cpeo-military-subscribe@igc.topica.com

What's hot at Topica?  Sign up for our "Best New Lists"
newsletter and find out!  http://www.topica.com/t/8