2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: marianne.thaeler@sfsierra.sierraclub.org
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 09:50:59 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Field Coordinator Position Opening

Can anyone please explain to me what this program is about?
Marianne Thaeler

> EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
> Field Coordinator
>
> POSITION:  A Field Coordinator is needed to assist in the continuation of
> the United States Army's Land Condition Trend Analysis (LCTA) Program on
> Fort A. P. Hill, Virginia.  LCTA is an ecological monitoring program
> designed to evaluate the capability of the land to meet multiple use
> objectives on a sustained basis. Data collection and analysis products are
> used to guide Army Training land use decisions.  This is an excellent
> opportunity to gain experience in leadership, project coordination, field
> work and GPS and GIS systems.
> LOCATION:  Fort A. P. Hill, Virginia.  Fort A. P. Hill is a 76,000 acre U.S.
> Army Installation, located 25 miles southeast of Fredericksburg, VA, and 40
> miles north of Richmond, VA.
> PRIMARY DUTIES: The Field Coordinator will be responsible for assisting the
> LCTA Coordinator in planning and preparing for the field season, executing
> fieldwork and reporting in the Fall.   This will include assisting in
> recruiting and hiring field crews, planning training for crews, preparing
> maps and equipment, and assisting with other coordination duties.  The Field
> Coordinator will be responsible for leading the field crews and
> participating in fieldwork as a member of the crews.  Monitoring will
> include locating and sampling permanent forest monitoring plots in high-use
> areas.  Sampling methods include modified USDA Forest Service Forest Health
> Monitoring methods and traditional ecological/forest inventory methods. The
> Field Coordinator will be trained and certified in USDA Forest Service
> Forest Health Monitoring Protocols.
> Additional duties will include: the use of the Global Positioning System
> (GPS), database management, GIS analysis, and other projects associated with
> the Integrated Training Area Management Program (ITAM) at Fort A. P. Hill.
> QUALIFICATIONS:
> *    This position is best suited to recent graduates (Masters or
> Bachelors) giving consideration to advanced study or professional work in
> forest ecology or natural resource management.
> *    Completion of substantial coursework in Forestry, Ecology, Botany,
> Biology or a closely related field.
> *    Experience with GPS and with ArcView or other GIS software.
> *    Experience in forestry fieldwork and in identifying southeastern
> flora.
> *    Willingness to work outdoors in hot-humid weather conditions.
> *    Ability to work independently, as well as a capacity to work
> cooperatively with others in a team environment.
> SALARY:  Commensurate with experience and qualifications.  This is a 6 month
> position.
> APPLICATION DEADLINE:   Open until filled
> APPLICATION INFORMATION:
> Send cover letter, resume, copy of college transcripts, and 2 references to:
>
> Heather Melchior
> Dept of the Army
> [...]

You can find archived listserve messages on the CPEO website at

http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.

If this email has been forwarded to you and you'd like to subscribe, please send a message to:

cpeo-military-subscribe@igc.topica.com

 the primaries to the mosh pits, get updates on the
U.S. presidential race by joining our Politics list!
http://www.topica.com/lists/politics