2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 13:06:00 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] BRAC Cleanup 2001 Request

I have just obtained numbers for the Defense Department's budget request
for BRAC (Base Realignment and Closure) cleanup for fiscal year 2001.
Some of the figures differ slightly from other sources I have found, so
I may need to update this table at a later date.

The Pentagon appears to be making a good faith effort to reverse the
base closure environmental funding decline of the past couple of years.
As our readers know, the Navy had warned that the drastic cut in its
proposed fiscal year 2000 budget would have a significant negative
impact on its program. However, by juggling projects, it has managed to
minimize the damage. Still, it says that the stop-gap measures will fail
if it doesn't get the FY2001 money requested. Looking at the table
below, the Army may be in the same position.

[This table is best read in a monospace font.]

Base Realignment and Closure (environmental ceiling)
             (millions of dollars)
Component  FY1998 FY1999  FY2000 FY2001

Army         199    236     85    281
Navy         342    276    143    437
Air Force    256    148    130    140
Agencies      21     17      2      5

Total        818    677    360    864

These proposals are now in the hands of Congress. As I've said before,
last year they cut the budget and no one screamed. Unless the
communities that depend upon these programs to protect their health,
restore their environment, and enable productive reuse let themselves be
heard, a large fraction of the funds requested for next year's base
closure cleanup will again be diverted to other projects.

LS

c/o PSC, 222B View St., Mountain View, CA 94041
lsiegel@cpeo.org
http://www.cpeo.org

You can find archived listserve messages on the CPEO website at

http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.

If this email has been forwarded to you and you'd like to subscribe, please send a message to:

cpeo-military-subscribe@igc.topica.com

Who will win the Oscars? Spout off on our Entertainment list!
http://www.topica.com/lists/showbiztalk