2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: rama@accutek.com
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 09:46:37 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] LAWSUIT SEEKS HALT TO OPEN AIR DESTRUCTION OF OBSOLETE WEAPONS BY

FOR RELEASE THURSDAY, APRIL 13, 2000

CONTACTS:
NORM HARRY, CHAIRMAN, PYRAMID LAKE PAIUTE TRIBE
PHONE: (775) 574-1000

JACK PASTOR, RESIDENTS AGAINST MUNITIONS
PHONE: (530) 257-9400

GRACE POTORTI, RURAL ALLIANCE FOR MILITARY ACCOUNTABILITY
PHONE: (775) 677-7001 / (775) 677-9751

SCOTT ALLEN, ATTORNEY AT LAW, COX & MOYER
PHONE:  (415) 543-9464

LAWSUIT SEEKS HALT TO OPEN AIR DESTRUCTION OF OBSOLETE WEAPONS BY U.S. ARMY

A coalition of groups filed suit against the United States Department of the
Army (Sierra Army Depot, CA) on Thursday, April 13, 2000, for violations of
the California Health and Safety Code. The coalition wants to stop the Sierra
Army Depot from disposing of over 86 million pounds per year of military
bombs, mortars, artillery shells, rocket motors, land mines, and grenades by
open burning and open detonation (OB/OD).  There are alternative technologies
available to the Army for the disposal of these hazardous waste munitions,
without polluting the environment and endangering the health of people.

The Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe, Rural Alliance for Military Accountability,
Residents Against Munitions, Jack Pastor, Larry Beach, and Kim Ramos (the
coalition) contend that the OB/OD creates toxic plumes of carcinogenic
chemicals, including mercury, lead, beryllium, copper, etc. to be released
into the air, water, and soils of the environment.  Blast waves from the
Army's activities at the Depot rattle windows, walls, and floors of houses
located many miles away.

Norm Harry, Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribal Chairman stated, "The Army continuing
to conduct its OB/OD operation without a permit is a blatant disregard to the
voiced concerns of the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe, Washoe County, the State of
Nevada, and Senator Reid.  The Tribe may have concerns with Environmental
Justice issues.  The Tribe will continue to support the implementation of the
best available technology for the disposal of obsolete munitions and
ordnance.  We have fought vigorously to protect the resources within our
jurisdictional boundaries, and we will continue to exhaust all available
means to protect the health and welfare of our most important resource...our
people!"

Jack Pastor, spokesperson for Residents Against Munitions stated, "If we can
put a man on the moon, we should be able to build a blast chamber to dispose
of our obsolete weapons."  Pastor continued, "For the military to knowingly
and willingly dump toxic chemicals on its own people is a violation of our
civil rights."

Grace Potorti, Executive Director of RAMA stated "For decades the military
has used rural residents as guinea pigs for poisonous activities which would
not be accepted elsewhere". Potorti continued, "Clearly it is time for the
U.S. Army to jump on the bandwagon and use environmentally safe alternatives
to this caveman method of weapons destruction."

Additional Contacts:
Kim Ramos, Residents Against Munitions / Phone:  (530) 253-3289
   "United States citizen's health and property are not subject to the
uncontrolled power of the Army.  Our preamble to the constitution
establishes justice and ensures us domestic tranquility.  It seems as though
we are living in a war zone and the Army has somehow proclaimed eminent
domain over our lands and health.  It is peacetime, therefore the Army is
accountable for the demolition process."

Larry Beach, Residents Against Munitions / Phone:  (530) 253-3289
   "The Army's Open Burning / Open Detonation of munitions & rocket motors
is out of control.  Standard operating procedures are routinely violated
resulting in excessive db levels, shock waves and toxic plumes that travel
over populated areas affecting humans, animals, property and the
environment."

Sally Pastor / Phone: (530) 257-9400

For a full copy of the lawsuit  visit:  http://www.rama-usa.org

You can find archived listserve messages on the CPEO website at

http://www.cpeo.org/lists/index.html.

If this email has been forwarded to you and you'd like to subscribe, please send a message to:

cpeo-military-subscribe@igc.topica.com
Enlighten your in-box.         http://www.topica.com/t/15