2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 15:14:25 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Vieques message Digest for 10-23-00

Vieques Message Digest

1)Viequenses prove incapacity of the Navy
2)A delegation of Viequenses penetrated the US Navy bombing range...
3)Hundreds of protesters take down Navy fence in Vieques I
4)Hundreds of protesters take down Navy fence in Vieques II

Please respond directly to <bieke@coqui.net>

Message #1

Committee for the

Rescue and Development of Vieques

PO Box 1424    Vieques, Puerto Rico  00765

Tel. (787) 741-0716   E mail:  bieke@coqui.net

Special report, 21 October, 2000

>From the Vieques Peace and Justice Camp

Viequenses prove incapacity of the Navy

A group of Viequenses risked their lives and health in order to
demonstrate to the Navy that we Viequenses do not fear their violence,
and that we will not leave them in peace until they leave us in peace.

The group includes Radmes Tirado, whose work for the October 1
activities demonstrated that the great majority of his people are
prepared to take more steps to remove the Navy from our land and sea.
Thousands of Viequenses responded on that day to the call of Radames.

The group also included the untiring Angel (Tato) Guadelupe, a key
figure during the period of the resistance camps in the bombing range,
Agapito (Pepo) Belardo Santiago, Juan Silva Rosa (whose wife Minguita -
may she rest in peace - died of cancer a few days before the murder of
David Sanes), Emilio Garcia (a Vietnam veteran who heads the group
Viequense Veterans for Peace), Justino Lopez Ortiz (the Deacon of the
Catholic Parish), Jose Cedric Morales (a prominent local merchant),
and seventy-year old Angel Navarro ( a Korean War veteran).

Robert (Bob) Rabin, who also joined this group of warriors, was chosen
by Federal Judge Aida Delgado - following orders from the Navy - for
special punishment. While the other group members were freed upon
promising to pay bail of $1,000 before a deadline, Robert Rabin was
required to post a higher bail of $5,000 - payable immediately. Since
the court's offices had already closed for the day, Rabin had to spend
the night in the federal prison (in Guaynabo, PR), to wait for the
offices to reopen the next morning, Thursday, October 19.

Under orders from the Navy, the judge tried to impose upon Rabin the
condition that he would abstain from calling on others to defy the Navy
through the practice of peaceful civil disobedience. "I'm a leader of a
community organization struggling against the Navy bombing," retorted
Rabin. "I have the responsibility to support those in disobedience."

Rabin's lawyer,Linda Backiel, accused the court of violating his
constitutional rights by imposing conditions that violate the First
Amendment (free speech). (PR) Senator Velda Gonzalez, who was in court
to support the accused, offered to pay Rabin's bail right then and
there; however, the judge ordered his immediate incarceration "because
the federal offices are already closed." All of the people of Vieques in
struggle, and all Puerto Ricans of conscience, hold the United States
Navy responsible for the personal safety of our unjustly imprisoned
brother.

This daring action taken by Viequenses (of penetrating the bombing range
during military maneuvers) uncovers three points. The first is the
Navy's inability to contain civil disobedience. After arrogantly
parading their warships along our coasts in imperialistic fashion - and
in spite of dozens of patrol boats that impose a military state of siege
on our Island - a few fishermen (who the Navy is trying to subordinate)
transported their brothers to the bombing range. The group of Viequenses
was already in the range when the maneuvers began. The Navy was advised
of their presence, but even so began bombing. This manifests the second
point: the Navy's criminal immorality, their absolute inhumanity - when
even after being advised of human presence on the bombing range
continued their bombing, just so that (Navy spokesman) Lt. Jeff Gordon
could claim that Viequenses were incapable of stopping the exercises.

"We could have stayed longer and interrupted their exercises even more,"
Radames tells us. "They didn't dare look for us because theyB4d have
to hike through dangerous lands, but since we know the area better than
they do, we are able to stay as long as we want. We had to leave because
Angel (Navarro), who is more than seventy years old, had problems with
his diabetes and needed care. Pepo climbed up to to the OP (observation
post), entered the OP, and told the marines there - who were frightened
to see him - that we had a companion who needed medical attention.
Otherwise we would have stayed."

The third point is that - in naked violation of the so-called
Presidential directives - now we have witnesses that the criminal Navy
continues bombing with "live" ammunition. Pepo Belardo - a serious man,
a man of peace, who deeply believes in truth regardless of the
consequences - tells us: "We saw the explosions of the bombs. The bombs
are not inert ("dummy" bombs). Inert bombs do not explode. We heard
them, we saw the cloud of smoke. Next time that we enter we will
photograph or film them.''

(Article taken from the periodical LA VOZ DE VIEQUES, 19 October, 2000.)

Rabin was liberated from jail on Thursday, 19 October at 12 noon after
paying the five thousand dollar bail. The conditions read by the court
official did not include refraining from urging people to participate in
actions of civil disobedience. During the vigil on Saturday, 21 October,
Rabin used the 5 thousand dollars "agitator's liscence" and urged those
present to enter into the military zone at the appropiate moment.

Robert L. Rabin Siegal

Message #2

COMMITTEE FOR THE

RESCUE AND DEVELOPMENT OF VIEQUES

P.O. Box 1424 Vieques, Puerto Rico 00765

Tel. (787) 741-0716 Email: bieke@coqui.net

October 17, 2000

PRESS RELEASE

A delegation of Viequenses penetrated the US Navy bombing range on the
Eastern end of Vieques early this morning. The group took the name,
Luisa Guadalupe Brigade, in honor of this 85 year old anti Navy activist
and member of the Committee for the Rescue and Development of Vieques
(CRDV).

Members of the Brigade include the Deacon of the Catholic Church of
Vieques, Justino Lopez, Jr.; the ex Mayor of Vieques for the Statehood
Party (PNP- 1976-80); Viequense Chamber of Commerce leader, Sedric
Morales; Angel Guadalupe, nephew of Luisa Guadalupe and veteran of US
military; Robert Rabin, spokesman for the CRDV and the Vieques Peace and
Justice Camp. The sixth member of the brigade is Juan "Guito" Silva,
Viequense whose wife Minguita died of cancer shortly before the killing
of David Sanes.

The Viequenses got through the tight military security and entered the
restricted zone on the Eastern extremity of Vieques with the purpose of
creating obstacles for Navy bombing announced for the following days.
The group dispersed in teams to different points in the bombing zone.

Spokesmen for the CRDV pointed out tha the US Navy would be held
responsible for any damages suffered by the members of the Luisa
Guadalupe Brigade while they were in the impact area.

Another brigade made up of Vieques Veterans for Peace entered
simultaneously and included Viequense veterans of the US military -
Emilio Garcia, Agapito Belardo and seventy year old Korean War
Veteran, Luis Angel Navarro.

More civil disobedience actions are expected during the current
maneuvers, the largest to take place here since the death of David Sanes
on 19 April, 1999.

A1FUERA LA MARINA DE VIEQUES!

***

Message #3

COMMITTEE FOR THE

RESCUE AND DEVELOPMENT OF VIEQUES

P.O. Box 1424    Vieques, Puerto Rico  0076

Tel. (787) 741-0716  E mail:  bieke@coqui.net

PRESS RELEASE

Hundreds of protesters take down Navy fence in Vieques

Hundreds of Viequenses tore down enormous sections fo the military fence
in the area of gate to Camp Garcia, entrance to the bombing zone in
Vieques, during a protest against the U.S. Navy presence on the Baby
Island.  According to leaders of the community struggle, the Second
Human Chain was organized to continue the process of taking down the
fences that separate the people from their lands.

During the month of October, the Navy carried out the largest maneuvers
since the death of David Sanes on April 19th, 1999.  Tens of thousands
of troops, a large number of warships from the U.S. and NATO countries,
bombed intensely the Eastern part of the island last week.  In the
middle of the bombing practice, nine Viequenses entered the impact area
and remained in the bombing zone for twenty four hours until being
arrested.

The process of taking down the military fences has been continuous, with
small brigades working in different areas of the base perimiter.
TodayB4s protest, however, was the first organized action in which
hundreds participated in the project of taking down the NavyB4s fence,
symbol of military control of the lands the people of Vieques want back.

Church leaders, merchants, fishermen, elderly people, children and
representatives of the diverse groups that struggle for an end to the
military presence on the island municipality all participated in the
Human Chain.

***********

Message #4
[...]

When military vehicles approached the area, protesters threw baloons
filled with water and paint and continued with the work of taking down
the Navy fence.Church leaders, merchants, fishermen, elderly people,
children and representatives of the diverse groups that struggle for an
end to the military presence on the island municipality all participated
in the Human Chain.

Puerto Rican university professor,Carlos Ala, was the only person
arrested during the action, when he entered the NavyB4s restricted area
through one of the many large opennings created in the fence

Robert L. Rabin Siegal
Comite Pro Rescate y Desarrollo de Vieques
Apartado 1424   Vieques, PR  00765
(787) 741-0716   cel. 375-0525

A1FUERA LA MARINA DE VIEQUES!