2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 15:23:25 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF]

[The following letter from Colorado was sent out to Army Headquarters
yesterday.  It refers to a bomblet containing sarin that was discovered on
the Rocky Mountain Arsenal early last week. --Aimee]

October 26, 2000

Raymond J. Fatz
Deputy Assistant Secretary of Army
Environment, Safety & Occupational Health
U.S. Army
110 Army Pentagon, Room 2E577
Washington, DC  20310-0110

Dear Ray:

Subject:	Use of Donovan Chamber for destruction of sarin bomblet at 		the
Rocky Mountain Arsenal

As you know, since discovery of the bomblet containing sarin at the Rocky
Mountain Arsenal last week, our staff has been working with the Army and
other interested agencies to determine the safest method for destruction of
the bomblet.  At the present time, our staff is reviewing the latest plan
received from the Army last night.

At the same time, we have received reliable information from E.P.A. Region
I, the Army Corps of Engineers, and others that the Donovan chamber is
suitable and available for destruction of the sarin bomblet.  We are told
that the chamber has been used for similar chemicals and achieved high
destruction efficiency.  It is our understanding that temperatures in the
chamber reach over 6,000 degrees F; it is our understanding that with open
detonation, the temperature reached is approximately 3,000 degrees
F.  Further, we understand that the chamber could be mobilized and be at
the Rocky Mountain Arsenal within 24 hours.

We also understand that although the Donovan chamber has not yet been
certified specifically for sarin, that this procedural requirement can be
waived.

We are requesting that if the Donovan chamber is suitable for destruction
of the sarin bomblet that it be immediately mobilized to RMA.  Current
meteorological forecasts are that there may not be suitable weather for
several days for open detonation.  It is clearly preferable from a public
health and environmental perspective that any detonation and treatment be
enclosed if at all feasible.

I look forward to your prompt response to this request.

Sincerely,

Howard Roitman
Director, Hazardous Materials
	and Waste Management Division