2000 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 09:44:53 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] DOD Fact Sheet on Range Cleanup

The Defense Department Fact Sheet, "DoD Policy for Closed, Transferred,
and Transferring Ranges Containing Military Munitions," is now on the
Web at
http://www.denix.osd.mil/denix/Public/ES-Programs/Cleanup/Rangefact/forum1.html.

I have pasted explanatory excerpts below.

LS

Why is DoD issuing a directive instead of the Range Rule?

We would prefer to have the rule because it provides consistency and
everyone will understand exactly how we will conduct the program.
Unfortunately, we have not been successful in obtaining agreement among
the Federal agencies. Despite the inability to reach consensus, DoD
still feels that it is simply good government for this country to have a
"Range Rule". DoD expects to re-propose the rule applying the knowledge
learned from the negotiations. DoD will also engage EPA, the Federal
Land Managers, the public, the tribes, and the States in the new
process. However, in the interim, DoD needs to conduct a response
program to reduce risk at CTT ranges. We are already doing so at
Formally Used Defense Sites (FUDS) and Base Realignment and Closure
sites. But we need to provide the field with consistent internal policy
and guidance on how to proceed with a CTT response program. Consistent
internal guidance will also facilitate our programming and budgeting
process. Thus, we have provided outlines for both a DoD directive and a
DoD instruction for a CTT Response Program.

What is in the CTT directive?

The directive establishes policy for evaluating and responding to
military munitions, to include unexploded ordnance (UXO), and other
constituents on closed, transferred, and transferring (CTT) military
ranges. It assigns responsibilities for development and implementation
of a response program that provides for explosives safety and reduces
risk to human health and the environment from military munitions, to
include UXO, and other constituents found on CTT ranges. The directive
also requires the development and maintenance of an inventory of DoD CTT
ranges. The Instruction will provide more detailed guidance to the
Services on program goals and how to implement the program.

What is the road ahead?

DoD plans to issue the final directive in 2001. This directive will then
be implemented with the development of the more detailed instruction. A
Notice of Availability for the Instruction will be printed in the
Federal Register. Draft outlines for the directive and the instruction
follow....

c/o PSC, 222B View St., Mountain View, CA 94041
lsiegel@cpeo.org