2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: bieke@coqui.net
Date: 13 Jan 2001 00:10:12 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] DU in Vieques and Europe

Committee for the Rescue and Development of Vieques
Apartado 1424 Vieques, Puerto Rico 00765
(787) 741-0716 E mail: mailto:bieke@coqui.net

Press Release

GRAVE CONCERNS ABOUT URANIUM WEAPONS IN EUROPE AND IN  VIEQUES

The Italian government is protesting the serious  health problems of its
soldiers caused by the use of uranium 238 weapons by the  US military in
the recent conflict in the Balkans. The topic of depletued  uranium (238)
weapons captured the front pages in the press of several European
countries, members of NATO, when soldiers from the region began to die  of
cancer and leukemia after their return from Kosovo, Yugoslavia y Bosnia,
where  large quantities of uranium 238 projectiles were launched.

Since 1994, the Committee for the Rescue and  Development of Vieques (CRDV)
has denounced the use of uranium weapons, upon learning  of such arms at an
Environmental Justice Conference in Washington, D.C. "We  listened in
horror as scientists and community activists from the US told about this
new type of weaponry that had been used extensively in the Gulf War. We had
 recently heard retired Admiral, Diego Hernandez say that the  ‘success’ of
the US forces in Iraq was due in great measure to their practicing in
Vieques," said  Ismael Guadalupe, spokesman for the CRDV.

Members of the Vieques organization mentioned also  that 80% of the ships
and jets that participated in the attacks against Yugoslavia   where large
amounts of uranium shells were used  practiced first in  Vieques before
leaving for the Mediterranean.
"For years we have denounced the relationship between  the military
contamination and the exaggerated levels of cancer on Vieques.  The heavy
metals and other chemical components from explosives, dangerous to  human
health, combined with the radioactive uranium 238 projectiles,  jeopardize
the life of Viequenses today as well as the future generations," according
to Nilda Medina, another spokesperson for the CRDV.

In May of 1999, Navy representatives admitted that  their jets had launched
hundreds of uranium projectiles on Vieques during maneuvers  in February of
that year, while practicing for the war in Yugoslavia. The  uranium oxide
(dust) that results from the impact of the projectiles can travel  more
than twenty miles and cause a long list of illnesses, including cancer.
Among people who have recently died of cancer in Vieques, high levels of
uranium and heavy metals have been detected.

The Navy admits they could not recover all the  uranium tipped shells shot
at the Eastern part of Vieques. Military officials plan more  bombing here
in January and February.

"There is no way to guarantee that the next bomb or  cannon shot will not
impact one of the uranium shells, putting into the air  radioactive
particles that could be air transported to the civilian sector, to our
children, to our old folks, to any one of us. We urge the authorities
responsible  for our health and security to block any future bombing that
puts in danger the  entire Vieques community," expressed Medina.
Contact: Robert Rabin 787 741-0716