2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: iconsigns@aol.com
Date: 25 Jan 2001 16:50:28 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] SAY NO TO FORT ORD TOXIC BURNINGS - A HEALTH ISSUE!

SAY NO TO FORT ORD TOXIC BURNINGS - A HEALTH ISSUE!

On Saturday, January 20, 2001 an event called Say No to Fort Ord Toxic
Burnings took place. Almost 40 community members were there to actively
protest the burning planned by the Army and local officials. We gathered at
the Ord Military Community Chapel outside where the Army was holding it's
Community Cleanup Open House. A petition was signed by the protesters as well
as military attendees in support of banning the toxic burnings. "It is
important for people to see the facts that have not been openly available
about the burnings. These facts reveal that the burnings are dangerous" said
Life 2000 spokesperson, Vienna Merritt Moore. Merritt Moore went on to say,
"The Army's own maps say the land slated for burning is the same land
designated as hazardous and toxic waste sites".

The issue is: Do you approve of over 20,000 acres contaminated with Hazardous
and Toxic waste being burned in the middle of your community? It is a health
issue. It should not be an US vs.THEM issue, ie: CIVILIAN vs MILITARY, We all
will suffer if this is allowed to continue.

"Don't take away any of our Birthdays" was the theme for the gathering. We
were celebrating all the extra birthdays our children and we will have
without the burns. A good time with balloons, cupcakes, and beautiful
sunshine was had on that day. The spirit of our gathering was one not of
conflict but one of enlightenment to the values that our children and our
health are indeed what matter most. What good is developement if large
portions of the population are made critically ill as a result? Who wants to
buy a home on another Love Canal?

This event was the first of many that Life 2000 is sponsoring to raise
awareness of the adverse health effects of the Toxic Burnings on Fort Ord and
to give community members a platform from which they can have some real say
in what happens in their community.

The next event is "Have a Heart  - Stop Fort Ord Toxic Burnings". Celebrate
the Valentines Holiday with food, games, face painting and fun, what a combo!
It will be held February 17, 2001, from 12:00 noon until 3pm at Laguna Grande
Park in Seaside. Open to all that care about our community's health. For more
information Call Vienna Merritt Moore 831-384-7658.