2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: evnjustice@redshift.com
Date: 29 Jan 2001 22:17:24 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: RE: [CPEO-MEF] Communities of Color at Fort Ord Have No Voice

At the Environmental Cleanup Open House, Jan. 20, 2001, the Fort Ord EJ
Network was told that a table would be available for them.
Instead we were met by paid Federal Police, plainclothes police and
detectives, who stopped me right after I entered the room with my poster
display.  We had to ask for a table, because the small table that was
available was taken up by another group.

I was told that I could not come in, and one plain clothes police tried to
take my display from me.  There was a large number of police present, and
not that many community members present.  Why?  I don't know.  Another
member of our group had his Camera case searched.  This was an Open House,
wasn't it?  This was a rather frightening experience.

We were there to bring attention to the fact that we feel that we have no
voice.  Our opinions are not considered to be as important as the opinions
of others.  People who have live in these communities directly adjacent to
Fort Ord, and who are directly affected by every aspect of this Superfund,
Federal facility,  virtually no say in how they are treated, medically, or
economically.  We are fighting for our lives.

People are continually dividing our community, taking away from the issues
of concern.  Those concerns that could be addressed to really bring
closure, real help, healing and reconciliation for people who have been
severely devastated and displaced.  No chance of recovery in sight.  We
live here and have no place to go.  There have never been relocation
dollars available, no
healthcare dollars available, no Economic Development dollars available
for community members of color who have been affected.

    1.    High levels of stress in the communities of color
    2.    High levels of homelessness
    3.    High levels of job displacement
    4.    Health concerns and treatment for lead, asbestos, solvents from
the landfill in the              housing areas.
    5.    Contaminated groundwater, drinking water
    6.    Now, the big fight is Unexploded Ordinance in Seaside portion of
Fort Ord

Some say burn, others say don't burn, some say use new technology, others
say no, don't disturb the habitant.  The affected people are in the middle?
Right there, one road separates citizens in Seaside from some of the most
hazardous ranges at Fort Ord. Our children have been exposed to these
dangers, taking explosives to school and other areas. Cancer has already
touched and taken the lives of many who live here, and who have lived here.

We are tired of the debates and all of the excuses.  We want the
infighting to stop, clean it up!  Clean it up now! We are talking about
human beings, who have been affected, and who are being
affected, and who are in the midst of a political struggle which does not
include them.  Which does not listen to them.  Lay down your swords, come
over to our side.    We are the people!the affected people!  The
historically disenfranchised people.  Can't we speak and be listened to,
why must we be silent?

Can't you hear their voices in the wind?, in the trees?, in the water?, in
the ground?  Why won't you listen?  Do you hate the people for being here,
for being affected, for being discounted?   Do you hate the people for
wanting accountability, to forget about yourselves for a minute.  People
who just want a healthy life, to live in homes that are safe and that they
can afford, with their families, people who want to work to pay all of your
costs for a right to live in America.  This is the Land of the Brave, and
the Home of the Free? Isn't it.  Power, greed, selfishness, need to take a
back seat.  It's about what we need as a community.  It's what we need, we
can't even work on desires now.  We are trying to have our needs addressed.
Thanks for listening, we need to have a voice!  We must have a voice!

If you are one of the voiceless and want to be heard, call (831) 883-0814
and leave a message.

LeVonne Stone, Exe. Director
Fort Ord EJ Network
P.O. Box 361