2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: duorganizer@miltoxproj.org
Date: 21 Feb 2001 17:03:53 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Perchlorate

"Something came across my desk that I think will be useful in the effort now
underway to identify drinking water supplies vulnerable to contamination
from military facilities. It is a list of locations where perchlorate has
been found in soil and water, and not surprisingly, many of them are
military and related facilities. Given that perchlorate is a serious
health threat, especially to children, and is often released to the
environment via open detonation and other ordnance practices, this is
important information to share. EPA does not have a final toxicity
assessment but recommends the continued use of a 1995 provisional
referencedose range, which translates to 4 to 18 ppb in drinking water.

I've listed below the facilities that appear to be related to military
activity
or manufacturing of explosives where, through wells or soil sampling,
perchlorate has been found in the environment. Since only a small
percentage of perchlorate-using and/or -manufacturing facilities have been
investigated, the list does not give a full picture of where the
contamination is. There are many states where there has been no testing for
perchlorate. Apparently, at nearly every facility where an effort has
been made to look for perchlorate in soil and groundwater, it has been
found. The list is accurate as of Nov. 2000."

Apache Nitrogen Products
Benson, AZ
(explosives manufacturing)
monitoring well, max. conc. ppb: 670

Aerodyne
Gila River Ind. Res.
Chandler, AZ
(propellant testing)
monitoring well, ppb: 18

Davis Monthan AFB
Tucson, AZ
(explosives/propellant disposal)
soil, max. conc. not confirmed

Unidynamics Phoenix Inc.
Phoenix Goodyear Airport
Goodyear, AZ
(explosives/ordnance manufacturing)
monitoring well, ppb: 80

Universal Propulsion
Phoenix, AZ
(rocket manufacturing)
soil

Unidynamics Phoenix. Inc.
White Tanks Disposal Area
Maricopa County, AZ
explosives/ordnance disposal
public water supply well, unconfirmed report: 4 ppb

Atlantic Research
East Camden, AR
rocket manufacturing
disposal - OB/OD