2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: bieke@coqui.net
Date: 7 Mar 2001 23:30:28 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Vieques Digest 3/7/01

1)Protests continue in Vieques

2)Puri Declaration in Solidarity with Non Violence and Social

1)

Committee for the Rescue and Development of Vieques
P.O. Box 1424 Vieques, Puerto Rico 00765
(787) 741-0716 E mail: bieke@coqui.net
6 March

Press Release

Protests continue in Vieques

The Committee for the Rescue and Development of Vieques (CRDV) announced the
suspension of the 4th Embrace of the Military Fence, or Human Chain,
scheduled for Sunday, March 11. Instead, a car caravan will be held to exhort
the commuity to keep vigilant before the threat of new bombing practice in
the near future. "We are happy with the decision to suspend March bombing.
However, we will not lower the guard and will continue with constant pressure
until we achieve the permanent cessation of all Navy activity in Vieques,"
expressed Nilda Medina, CRDV board member.

The Vieques committee has coordinated with representatives of diverse sectors
of the local community, from the main island of Puerto Rico and from the US,
who will enter the Navy's restricted zone if bombing is renewed. Protest
actions will take place simultaneously in several continents to dramatize the
situation of the people of Vieques - very high cancer case rate and other
mortal diseases, high levels of unemployment, lack of control over . of their
land - as a consequence of the military presence and activity.

Last October nine Viequenses, inclding an ex mayor, the Deacon of the
Catholic Church, the vice president of the local merchants association,
Viequense veterans of the Korean and Vietnam wars, spent twenty four hours in
the bombing zone during NATO exercises. At their hearing held in Federal
Court, the nine were accused of putting themselves and military personnel in
danger by being in the impact zone during bombing. The action by the group of
Viequenses caused serious problems for carrying out the rest of the military
maneuvers. A larger group is prepared currently to enter into the impact zone
if bombing is renewed on Vieques.

"This is a struggle of our people. It is the government's duty to defend our
people against threats to our peace and security. But if the government shows
itself incapable of confronting the Navy, our people have proven their
capacity and determination to continue this struggle until the last
consequences," said Ismael Guadalupe, one of the principal leaders of the
Vieques struggle.

Spokespersons for the CRDV exhorted the Viequenses to participate in the
Caravan for Peace this Sunday, March 11th, beginning at 12 noon at Mu=F1oz
Rivera Street, to demonstrate the "determination of our people to continue
this struggle until we achieve the demilitarization that will bring peace to
our Island."

Contact: Robert Rabin 787 741-0716

ENGLISH VERSION

2)

Puri Declaration in Solidarity with Non Violence and Social Empowerment
Representatives of Organzations from twenty countries and six continents
meeting at the War Resisters International/Swadhina Non Violence and Social
Empowerment Conference in Puri, India from the 18th to the 24th of February,
2001;

In solidarity with the non violent struggles represented by the delegates to
this conference, declare our support for those organizations working for peace
and justice and, in particular, those working.

a.. Against all manifestations of militarism -the draft, US Navy
presence and activities on the Island of Vieques, Puerto Rico, US military
intervention in Colombia, military violence against the Palestinian people, the
peoples of the Balkans and the Pacific peoples, military spending, among
others;.
a.. To end the repression and violence practiced against women, justified and
supported by judicial, political, and religious structures created by and
dominated by men;.
a.. For respect of the civil and human rights of gays, lesbians, bisexuals and
transgendered men and women as well as other minorities in our societies;
a.. In defense of displaced and marginalized indigenous peoples and the
landless peoples of the world;
a.. To promote non violent solutions to conflict resolution;
a.. Toward empowerment of marginalised sectors of society to democratize our
world through genuine community participation in the decision making processes
that are generally controlled by social and economic elites;
a.. In defense of the environment and all forms of life.

We hereby recognize our responsability to support the struggles of the sisters
and brothers participating in this international conference as our concrete
contribution to the work of creating a more just and loving world.

Approved in assembly this 24th day of February in the year two thousand and one
in the town of Puri, India.