2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: keboi@aol.com
Date: 9 Mar 2001 21:56:31 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] A question re: EIS and Ranges

Aloha kakou

This is Kyle Kajihiro from AFSC Hawai'i.  As folks may know, the community in
Wai'anae has been demanding that the Army do an EIS for its live fire
training at Makua. The Army has been very resistant to doing an EIS,
producing instead a very lengthy, but inadequate EA.  At a recent public
meeting on the EA, over 500 people attended. Testimony went from 2:00 pm to
2:00 am - the Army ran out of time. Ten to one the testimony was in favor of
an EIS. Five hundred additional signed letters calling for an EIS and another
900 signatures calling for the removal of the Army from Makua were delivered.

My question for anyone on this listserve is: What are other active ranges
where the military has had to do an EIS? I know that the Navy did an EIS for
Kaho'olawe, and that it was one of the factors leading to the closure of the
range, but are there other examples?

Mahalo for any information.

Kyle Kajihiro
AFSC Hawai'i