2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Vs3trees@aol.com
Date: 11 Apr 2001 16:43:23 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF]

I agree with you on some of the points you expressed except for your remarks
about the fencing and the demand for immediate cleanup.

I think that proponents of the prescribed burning method have used the
argument that children will trespass on ranges and handle dangerous
explosives as an excuses to use the burning to clear the land of the UXO
(unexploded ordnance). The same burning which as you say will emit
contaminated smoke that effects the lungs of adults and children alike. The
fences are meant to keep that threat at a minimum. If you demand the
immediate removal of fencing and also the immediate cleanup you are pushing
the Army and helping the Army justify the only quick and close to immediate
cleanup method, which is burning! Furthermore; did you know that one of the
sites slated for burning is site 44 which has been described in the Army's
documentation as possibly the most toxic site in the country? Toxic and
hazardous military waste is found in 7'-10' depths called burial pits on this
and other sites according to the 1998 Engineering Evaluation and Cost
Analysis, Army Corps. of Engineers.

When open burned the dangerous chemicals on these sites do not completely
combust. Many say that a conservative estimate would be that 4/5 of the
matter will not combust and much of it will be made airborne for all of us
downwind to breath. The people without a voice will also be in danger of
loosing their health also. This is not environmental justice for anyone. The
open burning of toxic and hazardous waste is not safe and it should never be
allowed even if we have to put up with ugly fences and even if we have to be
patient about how long the cleanup takes. After all, if it takes longer we
may all live longer. So let's take a good look at what we are really asking
for here.

    With all Due Respect,
    Vienna Merritt Moore
    Life 2000 Supporter