2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 11 May 2001 20:29:07 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] DOD Update on Future Munitions Dialogue Activities

[The following was sent out via email to all dialogue participants.  If
you'd like a copy of the National Policy Dialogue On Military Munitions
Final Report please email your postal mailing address and we will
forward it on in order for you to receive the report. -Aimee]

May 10, 2001

MEMORANDUM FOR: National Policy Dialogue on Military Munitions
Participants

SUBJECT:  Update on Department of Defense (DoD) Actions

FROM:   Operational and Environmental Executive Steering Committee
(OEESCM) Stakeholder Involvement Subcommittee (SISC)

Dear Dialogue Participant:

It has been several months since we last met and, as co-chairs of the
OEESCM SISC, we want to update you on activities concerning munitions
issues addressed in the Dialogue.  In particular, we want to provide the
status of DoD’s actions regarding regional forums and continuing
dialogue on these issues.

As anticipated, the recent changes in Administration are having an
effect on our pace moving forward with our initiatives.  The Munitions
Action Plan (MAP), into which you had significant input, was held for
the incoming Administration’s review and decision making.  It was
forwarded to the new Deputy Secretary of Defense and is currently
awaiting his review and familiarization on the issues.  We hope the
document will be issued for implementation very soon.  When it is
signed, we will put the MAP and our responses to comments on the DENIX
web site and, upon request, provide you a copy.

Despite the change of Administration, the OEESCM and the SISC remain
active.  We distributed the Dialogue’s final report to the Committee’s
membership and requested their input and support to prepare a
consolidated DoD response to the Dialogue’s suggestions.   We anticipate
completion of the review this summer and plan to provide the OEESCM’s
response to the Dialogue members by this fall.

The OEESCM is continuing efforts to develop policy and procedures for
addressing closed, transferred and transferring ranges, and managing
range residue -- scrap left on ranges.  We are also in the initial
planning stages for the regional meetings we promised at the completion
of the Dialogue.  One of our principal objectives is to build on, not
repeat, the work we've already accomplished.  We believe it will benefit
our efforts to get the new political leadership in place, briefed and
engaged on munitions issues before we proceed. We will be asking for
your input to the structure and content of the meetings before
finalizing plans to conduct them.  Based on timing of new political
leadership appointments, we hope to provide you a proposal by late
summer or early fall.  We will keep you posted on progress.

Finally, we are working closely with other DoD offices to ensure the
issues raised in the Dialogue are incorporated into the larger
discussions on sustainable ranges and U.S. military readiness.  Your
involvement with us in the Dialogue has influenced those discussions as
well.

If you have any questions or would like to discuss our efforts further,
please don’t hesitate to call us (Marilyn Null at 703-693-7705 or LTC
Susan Carlson at 703-695-7864).

///Original Signed///

Marilyn Null
Air Force Deputy for
Community-Based Programs
Co-Chair, Stakeholder Involvement Subcommittee

Susan Carlson, LTC, USA
Acting Chief, Munitions Division
Deputy Chief of Staff for Logistics
Co-Chair, Stakeholder Involvement Subcommittee