2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: isis@hampshire.edu
Date: 14 May 2001 18:30:01 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] The National Technical Experts Network (NTEN)

The Military Waste Cleanup Project of ISIS, the Institute for Science &
Interdisciplinary Studies, encourages you to sign up for the National
Technical Experts Network (NTEN) today!

The mission of the NTEN is to link citizen experts, self-taught experts,
citizen scientists and professional experts involved in military waste
cleanup and restoration.

Can we help you?  Yes, we can.

        - DO YOU HAVE TECHNICAL INFORMATION QUESTIONS?

        - DO YOU USE TECHNICAL INFORMATION REPORTS?

        - DO YOU GENERATE TECHNICAL INFORMATION?

        - HAVE YOU MADE YOURSELF A TECHNICAL EXPERT IN YOUR COMMUNITY?

        - ARE YOU A CITIZEN SCIENTIST OR CITIZEN EXPERT?

If the answer to any of the above questions is yes, then the NTEN is for
you.

The NTEN information exchange includes:

1) LESSONS LEARNED:
        - Your stories and ours shared in an open forum so we may all
          learn from one another.

2) TOOLS AND INFORMATION RESOURCES:
        - What are the best information tools out there?

3) CITIZEN EXPERT AND CITIZEN SCIENTIST SUPPORT:
        - How can we help you with your technical information needs?
        - How can we support you in your roles as context experts and
          agenda setters?
        - How can we link you and your community with independent
          advice and resources?

4) DISCUSSION ON NEW SCIENCE:
        - Science that needs to be developed to respond to cleanup
          issues and concerns such as:
                - Finding unexploded ordnance (UXO) at depth.
                - Understanding how various solvents and
               pollutants interact with different soil types.
                - New technologies that are needed and expanded ways
               to apply science to cleanup solutions.

5) ANNOUNCEMENTS OF WORKSHOPS AND CITIZEN FORUMS:
        - Information sharing and case study presentations.
        - Panel discussions.
        - Local, regional and national scope.

* We are pleased to announce the first in a series of national focus
group workshops on technical information needs and the role of citizen
participation in the environmental cleanup process at Department of
Defense (DoD) and Department of Energy (DOE) facilities.  The first
focus group workshop is scheduled for July 14-15, 2001 and will be
preceded by a citizens' forum on July 13, to help grassroots and citizen
participants prepare for the main meeting.

        FEDERAL FACILITIES CLEANUP WORKSHOP & CITIZENS' FORUM
        Amherst College
        Amherst, Massachusetts
        July 13-15, 2001

[More information about this upcoming workshop is available on our
website: http://isis.hampshire.edu/mil/]

6) AN ELECTRONIC BULLETIN BOARD TO COMMUNICATE ALL OF THE ABOVE.

* SIGN UP FOR THE NTEN NOW AND JOIN WITH OTHERS IN THE FIGHT FOR
INFORMED, EFFECTIVE AND DEMOCRATIC CLEANUP IN YOUR COMMUNITY.

To join the NTEN mailing list and to request further information on the
workshop, please contact:

Jeanne Stevens
Coordinator, Military Waste Cleanup Project
Institute for Science and Interdisciplinary Studies (ISIS)
Prescott D-1
893 West Street
Amherst, MA 01002
phone (413)559-5582