2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: StellaVB@aol.com
Date: 19 Jul 2001 17:33:44 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Politics

Thank you Jim for understanding what I was trying to get at.  I do agree that

this 'apathy' did not start with the Bush administration nor is it a recent
(within the last 10 years) event.  I must also state that I have had
extremely attentive audiences with the elected officials from the state of WA

minus one congressman who is no longer in office.  My greatest support has
come from Senator Patty Murray.  Congressman Brian Baird took a little longer

to get his attention but he is quite attentive now.  The new Congressman (or
could be a woman), whose name I do not know, is also quite interested in Camp

Bonneville and the cleanup that needs to happen.  Our EPA rep, Harry Craig,
and DOE, Chris Mauer, have been worth their weight in gold.  I can't begin to

express such gratitude to the stakeholders who continue to work hard, without

pay, to see the military take on their own responsibility and accountability
and not 'pass the buck'.

I do not mean to make this a political issue BUT President Bush is 'Commander

in Chief' of all branches of the military.  There is a saying that I believe
is true and that is 'If the head is sick, the whole body will be too'.  If
the 'head' isn't concerned about the consequences of chemical contamination
on BRAC/FUDS sites than what would make anyone of us believe those under him
wouldn't follow suit?  I am not against the military constantly staying ahead

of the game but that should not negate cleanup, not only of these closed
sites but also those bases our young men and women are living/working on.

Stella Bourassa