2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 25 Jul 2001 14:26:58 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Another View on Vieques

HC-01 Box 6615
Vieques PR 00765
July 6, 2001

The Honorable Gordon R. England
1000 Navy Pentagon
Washington DC  20350-1000

Dear Secretary England:

I am a resident of Vieques, Puerto Rico.  I, along with many other
residents think the Navy should keep training here.  A small group of
protesters has waged a well-orchestrated propaganda campaign to convince
people both here and around the world that there are serious problems in
Vieques which have been caused by the Navy.  There is no evidence or
reason to believe the exaggerations and lies these people have
fabricated.  They have created hysteria here and throughout Puerto Rico
with this misinformation, while their unsubstantiated allegations are
reported verbatim by the media.  Because of a very small group of people
who have no regard for the truth the United States and the Navy are in
jeopardy of losing a primary military training area.  And no one, almost
no one, seems to be doing anything about it.

Why hasn’t the United States sent investigators here to find out what is
going on?  Why hasn’t the United States waged a publicity campaign of
their own to combat the lies these people tell?  Why aren’t you fighting
this situation?  Why are the President and his Cabinet basing decisions
on rumors and unsubstantiated accusations?  The Navy is permitted little
involvement with political situations such as this.

The media will not present the truth with the same coverage given the
lies.  Many of us who really care about Vieques, including Navy
personnel, have written to newspapers and television networks disputing
what the protest groups have said - we have all been ignored.  Famous
people come here for a couple of hours and quote the protest leaders
verbatim without checking any facts; the media swarms.  Protest leaders
are quoted without verification; lies appear as truth.  It is ludicrous.

This whole thing was started by a small group of Independenistas and
left wing radicals who hate the United States and the military.  Others
picked it up and ran with it.  It has nothing to do with the people of
Vieques and the Navy.  It has to do with politics and greedy people who
want the valuable land owned by the Navy (and the United States
taxpayers).  They say the land was stolen from the people, but the US
purchased it from plantation owners.  The people lived and worked on the
land as virtual slaves, but they did not own it.  The Navy is not the
problem here, though they should have been much better neighbors over
the years.

There are several thousand Navy supporters in Vieques.  Others think we
are the minority, but we are not so sure.  Most of the protesters are
not from Vieques.  Most of the people who live here do not participate
in these demonstrations; they stay home and quietly mind their own
business.  When local protest rallies are held without the outside
agitators, less than 100 people show up.  I am not sure what the count
is now on a petition the Pro-Navy people have circulated., but at the
last count over 2,500 registered voters had signed it.  That is a
significant segment of the voting population of 6,400.  We are sure
there are many more who have not signed the petition.  Many here have
said they will vote against the Navy simply because they want the
trouble the protesters have created to end, not because they want the
Navy to leave.  There are fears the protests will continue until the
Navy is gone even if a democratic vote says the people want the Navy to
stay.

Recent polls and surveys indicate about 40% of Viequenses want the Navy
to stay.  Other data shows that 60% of the population believes the Navy
has caused cancer in Vieques - cancer which doctors have stated does not
exist.  If a campaign were waged to present the truth on the same scale
that the protesters have told their lies, we should be able to swing
enough votes to have these referendums go in favor of the Navy.  If the
United States and the Navy want to keep Vieques there must be some
effort put forth.  Not up in the States, but down here on this little
island.  This is the only place anything regarding this situation
matters.  But no one comes here and little is done to support the Navy.
Many Viequenses do not speak English or understand what is going on in
Washington, nor do they care.  They only care what happens here.  You
can sit up there in Washington and do all the talking you want.  If you
wan to keep Vieques you have to come here or send people here to find
the truth.  Use the truth to convince the people to vote for the Navy.
Send us celebrities with more credibility than Al Sharpton.  What can it
take?  The only thing that can overcome the protesters is the truth.

I have spoken at length to doctors, teachers, environmentalists,
conservationists, and other living in Vieques who are familiar with the
facts; very few think the Navy is the problem.  Navy supporters are
afraid to speak out publicly because of what the protest leaders might
do to them.  Violent retribution and destruction of property are very
real concerns.  There may be health problems, but they are nowhere near
as serious as has been reported.  The teachers who are not protesters
will tell you the children are not sick.  Recent reports tell us that it
is dust clouds from Africa which cause asthma.  If there are health
issues here it is unlikely the Navy is the cause.  We have the brightest
and bet bioluminescent bay remaining in the world, the only one that is
not polluted.  There are many rare and endangered animals living quite
happily on the Navy land.  The underwater life here is healthier than
many areas of the Caribbean.  Coral, sponges, and anemone grow on Navy
debris near the target area.  An extremely fragile environment exits
here which simply could not exit if what the protesters have said were
true.

Please come down and see for yourself and then do something to help us
to fight to save this place.  We are afraid that if this land is turned
over to Puerto Rico greedy developers will destroy this island.  If the
Navy loses this land it is vital that it remain a conservation zone - or
becomes a National Park of some kind.

I am ready and willing to help anyone who seeks the truth.

Sincerely,

C. C. Robertson
briansue@coqui.net

cc: President of US, House and Senate Armed Services Committees,
Secretary of Defense, Deputy Secretary of Defense, Secretary of the
Navy.