2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: StellaVB@aol.com
Date: 6 Aug 2001 19:06:56 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] EPA rules against Army appeal.../MMR

I have a question (or two) regarding this posting dated April 11, 2001, a
letter addressed to General Davis and Mr. Fatz.

I have heard that certain ordnance cannot be moved and should be blown up in
place yet I read in:

2.  Threat from Storage, 3rd paragraph, first sentence:

"...the NGB moved the potentially high explosive rounds to bunkers at the
ammunition supply point at MMR."

YET  in B.  Whether Use of the Controlled Demolition Chamber is Exempt from
RCRA Permitting Requirements by CERCLA subsection 121(e), first paragraph,
3rd sentence:

"....a time critical removal action occurs when munitions not safe to move
are blown in place and when munitions deemed safe to move are moved to the
DDESB-approved sotrage facility."

I believe I've asked this question before, what is the criteria that 'deems'
munitions safe or unsafe to move.  The first quote talked of moving
potentially high explosives and then the second quote talks of munitions not
being safe to move.  Who determines when munitions are safe to move, DoD?
EPA?  Both?  Are all agencies in agreement with this criteria?  If not, why
not?

Thanks,
Stella Bourassa