2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: tcarlson@dudbusters.com
Date: 30 Aug 2001 23:26:01 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Exploding waste sites

There are 3 ways to deal with this particular problem....blow them in place,
move them to a demo range and blow them, or move them to a facility and burn
them.

Blow in place. True, there was probably a spread of contamination, but with
a cloud 20-30 feet high, it probably wasn't a large addition to the current
situation.

By moving and blowing the projectiles, you now risk contaminating a piece of
the range that may have been clean (free of gamma and whatever else was in
the original area), as well as contaminating the personnel who moved the
ordnance, the roadways, buildings and people in between.

By moving and burning the projectiles, you run the same risk of
contamination as stated above, plus contaminating the entire burn facility,
their equipment, and their personnel.

Personally, I don't "charge ahead". I am very aware of the presence of other
chemicals, toxins, etc whenever I am dealing with an ordnance problem. I
don't know of an EOD/UXO Technician who isn't. I consult with environmental
folks whenever I can, just to make sure. However, I have never come across a
situation where the potential contamination hazards outweighed the ordnance
hazard (I'm excluding chemical weapons...that's an entirely different
scenario).

Ted Carlson
UXO Technician