2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 28 Sep 2001 17:34:50 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Sierra Army Depot - memo for Commander

The following is from the headquarters of the Army's Operational Support Command:

MEMORANDUM FOR Commander, Sierra Army Depot, Herlong, California

SUBJECT: Demilitarization (demil) at Sierra Army Depot

1. This memorandum formally confirms the Operational Support Command's
(OSC) decision to discontinue large-scale open burning/open detonation
(OB/OD) at Sierra.

2. To accomplish that goal, I have instructed the OSC Munitions and
Armaments staff to terminate shipments of munitions and propellant into
Sierra immediately and to develop a plan for moving Sierra's existing
stockpile to other locations. I have also asked my staff to ensure that
the other Services discontinue shipments of munitions into SIAD for demilitarization.

3. Our intent is to discontinue OB/OD at Sierra immediately; we
understand, however, that some residual material may need to be demilled
at Sierra because of its age or unstable condition. This should
represent a very small workload. When an emergency or unsafe situation
arises, I expect Sierra to work closely with State and Regional
Officials to ensure that demil of the affected munitions is handled
consistent with Sierra's existing environmental permits and variances.
If necessary, we may consider installing R3 technologies at Sierra to
assist in treating the existing demil stockpile. We can discuss the
merits of that issue and explore the possibility of installing R3
technologies on a more permanent basis in the future when we meet next month.

4. The decision to discontinue the use of OB/OD at Sierra, rather than
challenging the recent ruling from the Lassen County Air Pollution
Control District, is one of economics. The Army does not need Sierra's
large OB/OD capacity any longer and pursuing alternate sources,
locations and/or technologies that are available will reduce the costs
to the Army to field new demil equipment and technologies.

5. Please ensure the appropriate staff at Sierra understands this decision.

//signed//
Larry Gulledge
Deputy to the Commander