2001 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 6 Nov 2001 14:03:04 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Camp Bonneville's EA

Greetings to everyone,

After reviewing the EA these are my questions, concerns, comments:

Those contacted for input did not include key local people who are
familiar
with the environmental concerns raging in and around Clark County:
       EPA
       DOE
       USFWS
       WAFWS
       Local Environmental Watchdog Groups
       RAB members

Section 2.3.2 stated  ".......to determine whether remedial action will
be
required......"

       This statement, as it reads, is inappropriate, particularly to
RAB
members who have read the 100's of documents and understand the
environmental
concerns as well as the highest level of severity regarding endangerment
humans.  It should read:

       "........to determine WHAT (not whether) remedial action will be
required......."

As for personal opinion, I do not know who decided who would be
interviewed
but the lack of other professionals not included is unacceptable.  After

reviewing this document it is apparent the majority of CB will be given
over
to the Nat'l Guards for I do believe the Army is well aware of the
dangers on
CB given the fact NO ONE is allowed out there without clearance.  Should
I be
'off' in my assessment, then this scenario of 'sharing' this property
has
been put together with thoughtlessness and little regard to the citizens
of
Clark County.  I cannot begin to imagine the Army would ever think to
share
guns, training, contaminated ground/gw with a 1,000 acre park.  I don't
believe the Nat'l Guard would approve this either.

To the elected/appointed public servants of Clark County, please
consider
soberly that what you approve today is going to affect the generations
come in Clark County.  It is your responsibility and personal
accountability
to make decisions that will not KILL, MAIM or INJURE woman, man or
child!

Please note, I do not believe my thoughts or concerns will have an
impact of
any kind but I do believe in civic duty.  I have done my part.

Stella Bourassa