2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 22 Apr 2002 14:41:57 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: Fwd: [CPEO-MEF] Lead Levels

[FORWARDED BY Steve Koyasako (SKoyasak@dtsc.ca.gov)]

Response to an inquiry on lead cleanup levels, from California DTSC.

>>> Michael Wade 04/19/02 10:30AM >>>
Steve,
 In general, we use a risk-based approach to calculate cleanup levels
for lead.  We use our Lead Spread 7 model  to estimate lead hazard and
remedial goals.  Its available on the Dept web site (click on Science
and Technology and then Human Risk Assessment).  Our health-based goal
is that 99% or greater of the most sensitive receptor (children at a
residential site) have a blood lead level of 10 micrograms/deciliter or
less Site specific conditions are entered in to the model and they
differ from site to site so I can't quote you specific cleanup numbers
for lead in soil.

 If there are significant ecological  receptors at the site, a separate
calculation for eco receptors (more involved) would be necessary. I can
refer you to Mike Anderson, one of our eco toxicologists) regarding eco
assessment of lead.

Please email me or give me a call at (916) 255-6653 if you have further
questions.

Mike Wade.