2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: StellaVB@aol.com
Date: 24 Apr 2002 14:46:14 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Pentagon Environmental Proposals

I am quite concerned about this what appears to be a sudden rush to
exempt the military from environmental laws. Though the exemptions may be 'small' now, those 'small' changes are the doors opening for bigger changes. Most of us know that 'big' changes MUST happen one step at a time and my suspicion is there is big change down the road.

I do have a question regarding this 'push' of exemption: How are these changes going to affect closed and transferring sites (BRAC/FUDS)? Cleanup regarding Camp Bonneville is so slow that I'm wondering where all the money has gone to only cleanup 25 acres in 6 years (closed in '95) with no site characterization yet implemented, groundwater contamination known in only one area, an impact area no longer having the focus, etc. Will these changes affect cleanup not only of Camp Bonneville but the million other acres in our nation?

Stella