2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 Jun 2002 00:42:42 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] U.S. residents can sue for nuke exposure, says court

U.S. residents can sue for nuke exposure, says court

Wednesday, June 19, 2002
By Reuters

SAN FRANCISCO ? A federal appeals court Tuesday ruled thousands of
Washington state residents could sue over illnesses blamed on a Cold War
plutonium plant, reversing a lower court dismissal of most of the
claims.

The ruling rebuffs defense lawyers' efforts to limit damage awards
against contractors who operated the Hanford Nuclear Reservation, the
most highly contaminated nuclear site in the United States, which spewed
radiation as it produced fuel for U.S. atomic weapons as far back as
1943.

Many of the plaintiffs claimed radiation had caused thyroid cancer, as
well as bone, breast, and salivary cancer. Damage awards could reach
tens of millions of dollars.

The defendants include several industrial companies that ran the plant
until 1986, including General Electric Co. and DuPont Co. "We are of
course disappointed. We are studying the ruling, and we are not sure
exactly where we will go from here," defense lawyer Randy Squires said
of the 12-year-old case.

Hanford, a former nuclear weapons production site in south-central
Washington state, released radioactive materials into the air, water,
and soil, sometimes intentionally and sometimes by accident, according
to Washington state health officials.

This story can be viewed in its entirety at:
http://enn.com/news/wire-stories/2002/06/06192002/reu_47586.asp