2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Aimee Houghton <aimeeh@cpeo.org>
Date: 7 Aug 2002 16:10:03 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] DOD Response To Goodman Op-Ed

Washington Post
August 7, 2002

Our Military's Endangered Training Capability

In her July 20 op-ed column, "A 'Green' Military," the Clinton administration deputy undersecretary of defense for environmental security, Sherri Goodman, recognized the need to balance military training with environmental protection. Unfortunately, she suggested that the training problem isn't "grave" enough to warrant action and mischaracterized the recent General Accounting Office report, which concluded: "DoD and the military services have lost training range capabilities and can be expected to experience increased losses in the future absent efforts to mitigate encroachment."

The rest of the article can be viewed online at:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A52742-2002Aug6.html

Please note new phone number and address below.
Aimee R. Houghton
Associate Director, CPEO
1101 Connecticut Avenue, NW, Suite 1000
Washington, DC  20036