2002 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "A. Richard Miller" <TheMillers@millermicro.com>
Date: 31 Oct 2002 14:56:52 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] RAB questions

I think Ted Henry states it well.  A RAB functions to provide important
community inputs concerning that base's environmental impacts.  Jim Oyer
undoubtedly has been told about the limits of that, and even may be held
to those limits by an uncooperative base administration, but that's not
the way it has to work.

A case study?  I just happen to have one in mind.  At the outset of the
SSCOM RAB (Soldier Systems Command, a.k.a. U.S. Army Natick Labs, and
several other names over the years) on which I serve, NLabs helpfully
provided community members with four pages of draft contract wording
which would have limited us (a) to specific issues (b) on the base
property.  We rejected both limitations, pointing out that other
contamination issues might arise, and that we were meeting because it
already was affecting our town drinking wells - OFF the base property.
We proposed an alternate one-paragraph contract to describe our purpose
in more appropriate terms.  That produced months where we met without
any contract, while SSCOM told us we must have a contract and that it
"was not allowed to accept that broad one."

Instead of giving in, we asked the US EPA for its opinion.  After the
RAB's Massachusetts Dept. of Environmental Protection and US EPA
members reported back that THEY found our paragraph quite acceptable,
NLabs regrouped; it finally said that we were so darned good that NO
contract would be required.  And so it has been, for these many years.
I think all parties would agree that our RAB has worked quite well, and
to the further benefit of the community.

I suspect that ALL the RABs were sold this spurious bill of goods, and
most of them signed on for unreasonable constraints.  That doesn't make
it right.  IF you signed on to a bad deal, ask how to renegotiate for
adequate community representation.  Of, if necessary, don another hat to
do what's right.

A final, related thought: Start thinking about how to convert your RAB
to an equally-effective CAB (Community Advisory Board) for that base,
once the initial RAB goals are met.

Cheers from
--Dick Miller <TheMillers@millermicro.com>
  Citizen Member, SSCOM RAB (U.S. Army Natick Laboratories)

--
A. Richard & Jill A. Miller            | MILLER MICROCOMPUTER SERVICES |
Mailto:TheMillers@millermicro.com      | 61 Lake Shore Road            |