2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: christinebettencourt@earthlink.net
Date: 4 Feb 2003 15:15:11 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] PRESS RELEASE: Physician Warns Burning Buildingsis Health Risk

contaminated buildings in the name of 'Clean Up' I have this to say; In
1996, I collapsed with my newborn in my arms.  I thought I was going to
die and immediately started praying for God to let me live to raise her.
Then she began screaming, her head turned purple, her swollen, blue
veins stuck out as though they would pop.  I knew something was in the
air, I grabbed my keys and ran to my car heading for the hospital.  I
knew they
would be unprepared so instead I drove an hour down the coast to a
friends.

I returned that evening to learn that the Army contractor at Fort Ord
had generously donated their contaminated buildings to the local fire
agencies for 'training.'  I was told some were barracks with lead based
paint, abstestos and treated with arsenic trichloride.  I contacted the
Army and they promised to warn me before they did it again.  I would
evacuate and ponder and ache in my heart for those who were sick and had
the rare cancers in my neighborhood and decided to try to stop hazardous
waste burnings altogether and this is what I did;

1.  First, I went to the Air District and was told there was nothing
they could do.
2.  I wrote all my elected officials and was ignored.
3. I wrote a letter to the editor which was rejected because they said I
wasn't nice enough to the Army because they were masquerading as good
Samaritans when they were really illegally disposing of hazardous wastes
at the expense of our children's brains.
4.  I rewrote a nicer letter that printed the Air Districts phone
number, who when called referred everyone to the Presidio of Monterey.

This is what happened next;
1.  The Army's newspaper man put in a full page article with a picture
of a burning building complete with firemen hosing it down.  The article
explained these burns were necessary to save our lives.  (Kinda like
burning Fort Ord's thirty square mile munitions landfill of chemical
mutagens to save our lives in case we trespass or pick one up.)
2.   Firemen I contacted to educate yelled at me for costing people
their lives due to lack of training, even though a Fire Chief told me a
total burn down was not necessary because they just needed room for
smoke simulation and the burn down was
the favor for getting the building.
3.  The phone rang off the hook at the Presidio and the burns were
halted.
4.  A moral man on the inside called laughing saying BRAC was really
pissed off at me because it cost them $350, 000 to knock the buildings
down and put them in the leaky onsite general landfill .

I thought who is BRAC, what is going on, I had no idea and when I
figured it out.  I moved, unfortunately downwind and have been stuck
eversince fighting the impact area burning, which they say doesn't count
for burning hazardous wastes because it's not their 'intent.'  Their
intent they say is to burn only the vegetation to look for ordnance.

Good luck Laura and the rest of you and thank God your ready for them.
The less they have to spend money on and the more they get to do studies
the more they get to keep.

Christine Bettencourt
Life2000
PO Box 1852, Greenfield, CA 93927