2003 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: 14 Mar 2003 15:18:11 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Study says water, soil safe

Utah
Study says water, soil safe
by Charles Freeman
Enviromental Public Affairs

A government health agency study has concluded that exposure to
groundwater, soil, indoor air and fruits and vegetables isn’t a health
hazard for residents and employees of Hill AFB or the surrounding
communities.

The Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry, a public health
agency of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, made the
announcement Monday. The agency, headquartered in Atlanta, has 10
regional offices and an office in Washington D.C., and is independent of
the Department of Defense and Hill AFB.

“We are very pleased with the conclusions of this independent study,”
said Lt. Col. (Dr.) Ed Johnson, chief of Aerospace Medicine for the 75th
Medical Group. “The welfare of the people in the surrounding communities
has always been the driving factor in our cleanup efforts, and always
will be.

“We will continue to keep people informed by working with community
members and addressing their concerns.”

Regardless of the agency’s findings, Hill environmental officials will
maintain ongoing cleanup efforts in the community.

This article can be viewed at:
http://www.hilltoptimes.com/story.asp?edition=92&storyid=2481